HELP! power trim not working

Newbie518

Cadet
I have a 87 evenrude 60 hp outboard I was out on the lake today and trimmed the moter up to not hit the sand on the beach. We stayed there for a while and when i tried to trim the motor down it would not move. It moves in the upward position but just not down not even a noise.
The control is a switch on the throtle could this be the problem? and can anyone help in determining if so. I cannot figure out how to get the switch out of the housing to even test it.
Any help would be great.
Thanks

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant
Re: HELP! power trim not working

Under the cowl somewhere there are two little cube relays. If you switch the position of the relays and she goes down but not up you know the relay is bad.

I'd replace both. ~30.00 for the pair at napa

I had the rocker switch go bad it took awhile for it to completely fail.
When my relay died it was as yours. Worked than poof!

Newbie518

Cadet

Fl Richard,
can you tell me how i can get to them do i need to take the whole throtle assem. off to get to them?
thanks for the help

Newbie518

Cadet

Fl Richard,
can you tell me how i can get to them do i need to take the whole throtle assem. off to get to them?
thanks for the help

Newbie518

Cadet

Sorry it posted twice looks like i was studering... SORRY lol

Newbie518

Cadet

I cant seem to find a silanoid for the power trim/tilt. can anyone tell me where to look.

Newbie518

Cadet

well today i went out and the trim worked it went down i did not replace anything and have no idea why it finally worked. knowing my luck it will get stuck in the up position again while i am on the lack.
If anyone can help and tell me why this is happening i would greatly appr. it thanks,