OOOH nooo! How much water is too much water?

kcs1211

Cadet
I have a Merc 165 drive on my Glasply. The boat sat in the water after a dinged prop for a year, never moved. It was finally towed to the launch when a trailer was aquired.

Its my grandpa's old boat. The lower end fluid hadn't been changed in 3+ years. Today, I drained the fluid.

When I first pulled the plug, about 3-5 bottle caps (maybe 1-2 ounces at most) full of clear water came out. After the water drained out, VERY black fluid followed it. The oil did not seem to be mixed with the water at all. If it has sat for a long time with a little water in the outdrive, would the water and oil seperate?

I don't believe the drive was run with water in it. I figure from sitting inop in the water for a year, some water is going to seep in (but im probably wrong).

The drive worked well before sitting.

Am I screwed? Should I just order a new drive? The fluid was BLACK as can be. The water was clear as can be.

Am I worried over nothing? Thanks for any help.

Grand Larsony

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: OOOH nooo! How much water is too much water?

Others will know more, but I wouldn't be concerned. Just change the lower unit oil two times (right back-to-back) and then refill. Run it BREIFLY on muffs in the driveway, with prop engaged (be careful!). Drain all the oil again and see if it's a milkshake or not.

Just my .02.

You'll also want to look other things over very carefully as the boat has been sitting.

Or you can call my boat mechanic, tell him "fix whatever is wrong", break out the checkbook, and be done with it... that's what I usually do. ;)

4Winns2

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you didn't run it extensively with the water in the outdrive you could be alright. Since it didn't turn to milk (mix of water and oil) it sounds like you haven't run it at all. Doesn't look like being in CA would have any freeze affect on it either- -frozen water expands and cracks outdrives & blocks.

Either pull the drive yourself or take it to someone who can pressure test the drive to check and fix any leaks. Refill with oil and run it. I think you will be okay then.

Grand Larsony

Petty Officer 1st Class

Worst case you'll need to pull the drive and replace seals & gaskets, etc. Not a big job. I'd probably to all bellows, maybe cables, and definitely impeller while it's off the boat.

Oh, and a new prop !

kcs1211

Cadet

Wow. 3 responses in 15 minutes.

Thanks a lot guys, Im gonna flush it with oil and recheck after running.

But first, Im putting new water pump and impeller and of course a new prop.

Thanks a lot for easing my mind. I though I was gonna Break Out Another Thousand.

4Winns2

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wow. 3 responses in 15 minutes.

Thanks a lot guys, Im gonna flush it with oil and recheck after running.

But first, Im putting new water pump and impeller and of course a new prop.

Thanks a lot for easing my mind. I though I was gonna Break Out Another Thousand.

All the new parts are a good idea but before you do any of that pressure test the drive to fix the crack. Call a local marina to have it done, it's not too expensive. That water didn't magically appear in the outdrive, it got in somehow.