Fuel Vent question

_chris_

Chief Petty Officer
On my new to me 93 Four Winns 190 Horizon LE my fuel vent is on the swim step and the fuel filler is on the rear corner, My problem is first I am missing some sort of cap on the end of the vent it is open all around right now. I am looking to purchase a new vent as they do not make mine anymore but last time I was out and using reverse the whole vent was under water whenever a wave hit? Is there a check valve or something in there or is my tank just filling with water?

Blue Crabber

Ensign
Re: Fuel Vent question

No check valve as there is no pressure inside the tank to operate one. (At least there shouldn't be!)

Sounds to me like you were filling you tank with water! I can't imagine Four Winns installing a vent like that though!

You could try following the line and double check that nothing is in the line. On my Four Winns, the vent is located right beside the gas fill. It comes through the side of the boat, not the top.

If I were you, I would address this issue soon to prevent any damage to the motor. Do you have a water seperator installed on your fuel line? If you do, you may want to replace the filter, if not, it might be time to install one.

Good luck!

_chris_

Chief Petty Officer

I hope it has a seperator, if not it will soon. It doesn't come straight, it comes out of the side but on the inside of the step not the outside which works great when moving forward but not reverse, Here is a pic of it just below the cleat you can see it. When I get home I will check it out a little better, I thought nothing of it until I read a thread about a gallon of water in a fuel tank.

7-2.jpg

Blue Crabber

Ensign

I gotcha now. Sorry I didn't understand the fist time around.

My fuel vent is in approx. the same location, just on the outside of the hull and maybe a few inches higher. My gas fill is at the same spot as well.

Sometimes these vents have screens in the end to prevent large objects from getting inside of there, but it won't do anything with the water.

How did you have a wave over the back of the boat? I have a '91 190 Freedom and have never had a wave come over the swim platform. I do slow down gradualy when coming off of plane but I am not sure how much of a difference it would make if you stopped very quickly. I imagine it would be pretty hard to get water that high on your boat often enough to cause a problem that a fuel water seperator couldn't handle.

Just my thoughts though.... good luck!

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I just lost a motor to a vent like that, but it was on the side of the hull, chipped and corroded a little and let water in.
First, don't start your engine until you clear all the water out of the tank; don't rely on the seperator. But do it soon; you might hav ewater in the motor now.
Change the seperator before starting.
PLug your vent hole until you get the fitting, or splice a long piece of tube on it and tie it off, with a loop, on your rail or somewhere high.

Is that the fuel cap below the cleat? If so I think that's asking for trouble too. As I said, I lost a motor over a $10 part and what I now say is bad design even though it was OK for 20 years.

_chris_

Chief Petty Officer

I only get water there when I am backing off the dock, At the lake I go to it is full of people and sometimes my only option is backing out 50 or more feet and when it is windy the waves come up over the step easily.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

then you should move the vent or better replace your fill cap with a vented one, up on the gunwale.