NEED Help Please

ecom2b

Recruit
I have an older Starcraft boat with a 351 WINDSOR motor with an OMC drive could you tell me what v6 motor I could replace that motor with as mine had been blown, and everywhere I call for another 351 they want like $2500 just for a block, any assistance would be great.

Thank you
Louie

TowRoper

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: NEED Help Please

we need a little more info like how long is the boat, is it fiberglass or alum, what model out drive.

ecom2b

Recruit

sorry the boat is a 21' fiberglass. with an omc drive
thank you
Louie

cr2k

Captain

OMC stringer or Cobra? Year of boat would be a big help here.

You would be better off with a v-8 near your original HP. If you go to a v-6 you may need to change the gears in your drive to a lower ratio. At a minimum you would have to change to a lower pitch prop.

haulnazz15

Captain

if you go to ebay, you can find tons of 351w rebuild marine long blocks for $1300-1400. Rapido marine is usually highly touted on this site, I got mine from a seller named rmalaga who is with A&L Engine. No point in going to a V6 when you can get a perfectly good 351w to replace it with minimal headache.

jfw432

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I know this is an older thread but in case anyone does a search or the OP never found a solution... The 351 Windsor engines are just 5.8L Ford engine available in a variety of trucks in the mid/late 80's to early 90's. You could probably pick up a long block from a nearby junkyard for a few hundred dollars. You will obviously have to swap a bunch of car specific off and boat specific stuff on but it's a very cost effective solution if necessary.