barnacles-trilux not working divers are busy

BILL INGRAHAM

Seaman
n carolina barnacles are winning on my VP outdrive.Trilux is not working.are there any self polishing coatings for sterndrives.anybody heard of Marine SPC 99 - Self Polishing Copolymer Antifouling?

NoGin

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: barnacles-trilux not working divers are busy

My stern drive Alpha 1s are a huge mess! Barnacles so bad it clogged the uptake on my starboard side and even broke the uptake covers off the port side! I am in NY - LI Sound. What's going on this summer????

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

I had thought Tri-Lux was self polishing (Ablative). A couple of extra coats would probably help, as it is a quality product. You are brushing it on? Brushing is much better that spray.

Concentrate on the items above the antiventilation plate. The rest gets cleaned whenever you use the boat.

springhead

Petty Officer 2nd Class

was hoping to get myself info here on the forums about the same problem, live in RI and the barnacles on my outdrive are so bad I lost 12 to 15 miles an hour.

Randybeall

Petty Officer 1st Class

Are you sure they are barnacles or do you have the Zebra/Quagga mussels coming into your area. They are so small it is possible to make that mistake. They agressively cover surfaces of any hard object. Serious problem.

highN'dry

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Zebra muscles do not live in saltwater, at least the type causing the problem do not.

Les Robb

Chief Petty Officer

How's the hull doing? I ask because somewhere way back years ago I read an article on outdrives attracting barnacles something to do with currents.

Don't quote me my memory is getting slimmer and shorter as the years go by.

Luck with your project ya,ll ( Oh by the way when we hauled the boats I ran, normally the paint was leached off the props and shafts from rotation but the struts would be fine. )