Carbs - proper removal of black plastic elbows ? - 87' 90HP

bang4dabuck

Petty Officer 1st Class
Can't seem to find them in the parts breakdowns but wanted to remove them for soaking purposes and don't want to break them. They should be what the fuel pump connects to. Don't remember seeing them in the manual. What is the method to remove from float bowl ? Twist ? Unscrew ? Shimmy ?

thanks

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Carbs - proper removal of black plastic elbows ? - 87' 90HP

don't, leave them alone. you will have to buy a new bowl.

bang4dabuck

Petty Officer 1st Class

So what are THEY referred as ? What method should I use to clean bowls and elbows ? Thats not the plastic the BRP guy was referring to when he said plastic bowls are considered Late model, is it ?

Oh yeah, thanks TD for all the expert advice. We really appreciate it.:)

Last edited:

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

plastic bowls are black plastic.. just happen to have one torn down, waiting for new #26 Jets, clogged with ethanol residue. there are 2 sets of jets in the bowl, the side ones, and the ones down in the holes.

Attachments

• plastic bowl carb 001.JPG
    plastic bowl carb 001.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 0

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Also do not soak the plastic bowls in carb cleaner as this will damage the adhesive that holds BB plugs and nipples in place. The later factory manuals state this.

bang4dabuck

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK ! I do not have that kind, I have the cast aluminum bowl. As far as soaking this piece, I could fill a large coffee can about 1/2" with carb cleaner and let this piece set in it with elbow above it all. I am not sure if the cleaner would eat that plastic elbow where it attaches (inside the bowl). Is this how you would do it or would you just spray it down and hit it with brushes and wires ? What do you clean that elbow with, a pipe cleaner (tobacco)?