lower unit seal kit???

tamuben1

Cadet
1963 75HP johnson v4al-15e

My motor runs and shifts great, but today I noticed I was leaking lower unit fluid from the area indicated in the picture.

Is a lower unit seal kit what I need? Or do I have some other problem? What is involved in doing the seal kit? are there any extra parts/seals/gaskets I should be prepared to buy in order to do the seal kit?

Attachments

• lower unit 1.jpg
    lower unit 1.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 0

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Re: lower unit seal kit???

Probably just unbunt oil from the fuel unless it is obviously gear oil then its a seal , the vertical drive shaft seal or shift rod seal. But it is difficult to see with such a small picture. Not sure if thats joint between two parts of the gear case and a defective seal there

Check the condition of the oil in the gearcase. it should be clear and bright. If its milky looking then there is water getting in through a defective seal (or a reused level/drain plug washer) or joint.

See http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=207285

tamuben1

Cadet

Thanks.
Sorry about the small picture, I was having difficulty with getting it to load so I just compressed it to as small as it would go. I put a slightly larger picture up. It is leaking out between where the upper part of the lower unit mates with the lower part of the lower unit. It is 100% gear oil. The fluid is milky and there are new drain/fill plug washers on the unit. I read a little of my service manual and it does not look like too hard of a job, but they assume you have all the correct tools and anything else you might need. Mine is an electric shift, so I assume that I don't have a shift rod seal, right?

Attachments

• lower unit 16.jpg
    lower unit 16.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 0

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

You have to drop the lower unit to seperate and replace the seal between the two cases. You are correct that electric shift does not have a shift rod seal. If I rember correctly, hardly ever happens, the two cases are held togeather by 2 studs coming from the lower case. Do you have a manual for this motor? A manual would probably break down the procedure for you. I am sure someone with more experience will come along and give you better advice. Good luck on your repairs.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

You have to drop the lower unit to seperate and replace the seal between the two cases. You are correct that electric shift does not have a shift rod seal. If I rember correctly, hardly ever happens, the two cases are held togeather by 2 studs coming from the lower case. Do you have a manual for this motor? A manual would probably break down the procedure for you. I am sure someone with more experience will come along and give you better advice. Good luck on your repairs.

There is an o-ring in there. The two studs that hold it together are notorious for corroding and siezing from electrolysis and when they do, they are very difficult or even impossible to get apart. They are also notorious for breaking, and causing the leak. Way back when the motors were nearly new, we found out about the impossible-to-get-apart thing. I used to take them apart with a hacksaw. My method seems to have gotten around because it is now in the Seloc Manual (who says the Seloc is no good?)

The most important thing: If you do take it apart, have it laying on it's side when you remove the two stud nuts. Sometimes they aren't siezed and if you are holding it in a "pickle fork", the lower part will fall right off----tearing off the clutch coil wires when it does.