Identifiying Engines

SparkieBoat

Captain
I have a Motor with the numbers 85ML79r..this number indicates a 1979 85 HP motor. It has a 115 cover. Is it possible that this motor was put on this jack plate therefore the motor could be a 115??? is there any way to tell??

I also have another motor with model # J100STLCEN this should be a 100 HP Johnson made in 1989. it has a 115 Evinrude VPRO cover and it was a VPRO motor I think because the VPRO injection system is bypassed. and the blue evinrude paint on motor and cover matches. I tried to run the model number through this web site
http://www.marineengine.com/parts/parts.php
it does not recognize the number.
If anyone can tell me how to figure out what HP motors I do have I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks Sparkie

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Identifiying Engines

Are you getting these numbers off of the plate on the transom clamp? There should a silver disk on the powerhead, about the size of a quarter, with the model number stamped in it. On the 85 horse, maybe someone replaced a damaged engine cover. On thee 100 horse, could the last letter in the model number be a M instead of an N? If so that would be a 1989 100 horse.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

The casting plug that Daviet refers to on the top of the powerhead may be painted over, but will have the info you need.

SparkieBoat

Captain

thanks for the help...i found the numbers on the power head and that answered my question. I really appreciate your time.
Sparkie