Towing Question

Gulfcoaster

Recruit
I have a 2001 Infinity QX4....a Nissan Pathfinder in formal attire basically. It is rated to tow 5000 lbs. I am currently looking to purchase a 22 ft Sea Pro walk around cuddy with a 150 yamaha 4 stroke. The boat weight is 2800 lbs without a motor. Will this tow this boat ok?? From what I gather it should, but wanted more input. I am guessing the motor weighs 500 to 600 lbs. Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance.

system-f

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Towing Question

You are going to be at the limit of what you can tow comfortably, but I would still try it and see how it does. Assume your trailer weighs 1000, boat is 2800, motor 600 plus gear at 300 and you have a 4700lbs. You will need trailer brakes.

I have a 99 Q with the 3.3 motor (170hp) vs your 3.5 VQ motor which has 240hp. Power is not the big issue though, stopping and control are. The Q has huge front rotors; HUGE rear drums and is not a light vehicle. I have no problems stopping my 3klb boat and trailer and have towed 6000lbs with my 98 pathfinder which as you said is just a trimmed down Q. Now, I could not be very comfortable with more than 3-4klbs on long highway trips, but the vehicle would do it safely.

I would get a tranny cooler and make sure that when it is hooked up fluid comes out of the transmission goes into the aftermarket cooler first then through the stock cooler otherwise you won't get torque converter lockup easily in the winter (happens at 104 F fluid temp). Also MAKE SURE THEY PUT SPACERS BETWEEN THE COOLER AND CONDENSOR!!! Many Nissan owners have had their tranny fluid overheat when running the a/c because the aftermarket tranny cooler is not thermally protected from the condenser which gets HOT. If you want your auto to last a long time I would also learn how to drive without keeping the torque converter unlocked for long periods of time. I always force mine into 3rd gear which then forces 3rd gear torque converter lockup to reduce transmission heat. This is being overly anal, but I have about 250k on my old Pathfinder auto.
If you are lucky you have the all wheel drive option. Do not use it when pulling out of the ramp, just lock it in 4 LO and crawl out. The front brakes are powerful and the proportioning valve does suck so?when backing down I have to sometimes lock mine in 4 high or lo so that the front brakes can control the rear wheels since 4x4 (not all wheel drive) just locks the drive train up.

Brewer45

Cadet

I have a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder and tow a Monterey 214 FS that is 3500 lbs dry and with trailer it?s about 4550 lbs. We just returned from a 300 mile family trip (each way) trip with some significant hills.

The truck did fine; never once did I have a ?tail wagging the dog? feeling and always felt perfectly safe. However, I also added some Airlift 1000?s to the rear coils that help A LOT; additionally, I installed a transmission cooler to keep the tranny temps in a safe operating range.

The Pathfinder is a good tow vehicle, not ideal for these size boats but it will do a good job if properly equipped. Again, I?d highly recommend the above two accessories for a little more peace of mind.

Good luck.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

How much does the trailer weigh? Have gas in the boat, that's #8 per gallon.

How does all your safety equiptment weigh? Batteries? Cooler and ice?

Bet you'll be pushing #5000 pretty hard when all is said and done.

system-f

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I too have Airlift 1000?s in my pathfinder, but not in my Q. The Airlifts are worth the $80 and their customer service is awesome.