98 120HP Force won't start after running

dmgray55

Cadet
I have a 98 Force 120 that runs great. My only problem is that after starting and stoping several times (maybe 4 or 5 times on a given day) I turn the key and get absolutely nothing. The engine doesn't turn, no clicks, grunts, etc. When this happens I turn the key from off to start several times and eventually it will turn and start again. My guess is a loose connection? Any thoughts on what I should check?

Thanks

Jeremy90bay

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 98 120HP Force won't start after running

This happens to me sometimes on my 50. if I move the throttle a little it will go agian. its possibly the neutral safety I havent played with mine yet. let me know what you find out. and I will do the same

walk-on

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 98 120HP Force won't start after running

I had the exact same thing on my 90hp. I would turn the key and nothing. Move the shift lever back and forth and it might turn over, might not. Eventually it would always turnover and start. I assumed it was a bad neutral switch.

I finally narrowed down the problem to a break wiring harness inside the cowl. The wire runs from the neutral start switch to the positive on the solenoid relay (yellow with red stripe on my rig).

I wound up running a jumper from the battery to the yellow/red wire at the control box (the one that actually goes to the solenoid) then I moved the entire wiring harness until I could see 12 volts on my meter at the solenoid yellow/red which I had disconnected from the solenoid.

If you have a volt meter you can start by disconnecting the wire that runs from the ignition to the neutral start switch and testing voltage from the ignition switch. After that you can check the voltage after the neutral start switch as there should be two connections there, one into the neutral start switch and one out.