Broken Skeg

bet123

Cadet
I have a '96 115hp Merc. My sons used the boat that this motor is mounted on and when they returned it I noticed that about 1/2 the skeg was broken off. I will be getting this repaired, but I am curious this there any other function to the skeg besides giving a measure of protection to the prop?

j_martin

Admiral
Re: Broken Skeg

I beg to differ.
On a reasonably high powered engine, the skeg is critical to steering, and actually gets considerable force on it just from that. If it breaks at high speed, you will experience a bat turn that can be a real killer at high speed.

On a high performance bass bote, being missing a couple of inches of skeg can make the boat almost uncontrollable.

A good prop shop can repair a 115. I wouldn't repair that much damage on a 150 or higher, though.

my 02
John

Toxarch

Seaman

Can I ask why you wouldn't repair it on a 150 or higher? Are you saying the repair is not needed on a higher HP engine or are you saying it's not worth repairing?

4JawChuck

Chief Petty Officer

I bought this for my boat to fix a section broken off after hitting a rock, very quality product. 5 minute install and back on the water, if this breaks off then I will have the skeg welded. Its actually quite amazing how much the skeg does for steering and handling, there was no performance loss using this device on my boat...looks cool too. :cool:

http://www.keelshield.com/skegshield.html

onedaatmc

Seaman Apprentice

I beg to differ.
On a reasonably high powered engine, the skeg is critical to steering, and actually gets considerable force on it just from that. If it breaks at high speed, you will experience a bat turn that can be a real killer at high speed.

On a high performance bass bote, being missing a couple of inches of skeg can make the boat almost uncontrollable.

A good prop shop can repair a 115. I wouldn't repair that much damage on a 150 or higher, though.

my 02
John

whats a "Bat" turn ... new terminology or incorrect spelling ? I was thinking he meant Bad instead of bat, perhaps !

jbwillis76

Seaman Apprentice

Ever see a bat flying then suddenly take a sharp dart in one direction or the other? Pretty sure that's what he's talking about.;)

James

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

You folks don't remember the 60s TV Series Batman? They used parachutes to make the Batmobile turn real hard. That was the origin of "bat turn".

Check the transom bracket and PTT unit for cracks. Hopefully it is isolated to the skeg.

j_martin

Admiral

Can I ask why you wouldn't repair it on a 150 or higher? Are you saying the repair is not needed on a higher HP engine or are you saying it's not worth repairing?

Because the odds that the repair would fail and cause an injury accident are too high.

hope it helps
John

j_martin

Admiral

whats a "Bat" turn ... new terminology or incorrect spelling ? I was thinking he meant Bad instead of bat, perhaps !

Hitting the water without the boat is bad enough, but going through the gunwale first really sux.

John