Leaking copper pipes on AQ130

pcmpete

Petty Officer 1st Class
I replaced the o-rings on the copper cooling pipes on a AQ130c, but a couple of joints leak with the new o-rings. Should I have used something in addition to the o-rings during installation?

Thanks

sbbamafan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Leaking copper pipes on AQ130

Man - does this bring back memories!. I had exactly the same thing happen with my AQ130 in my old Glastron. Great engine by the way! I ended up getting a friend to help me and the remedy was VERY simple. First, I assume you got all the rings / gaskets from Volvo. You must as generics will NOT work. Assuming this is the case, here is the fix. I thought I had everything properly seated. I did not. I was afraid I would break something if I forced the copper any further. Don't be afraid. You have to really drive those tubes into the holes. My friend did it and I was already thinking how I was going to politely tell him he owed me for the copper pipes, etc, that I just KNEW he broke. I cringed and let him continue. Bottom line - it worked and they didnt leak a drop! All fixed for as long as I had the boat. DONT BE AFRAID!

pcmpete

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks for the reply, yeah, I would hate to break those pipes, they are not easy to find now-a-days.
I got the Sierra replacement o-ring/gasket set. Maybe get the Volvo set next time if this does not work.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

I've got the same issue with mine and can understand your frustration. You probably know what happens when you think you have them in and perfectly alligned and then throw the danged clamp on there :mad:

I've got mine snugged in with a tie wrap and plan on going through the frustrating exercise of bending and refitting after this years boating season is over. Until then, I can live with the slight weeping and exercising the bilge pump every couple of hours. I've heard some people say to use the aviation version of Permatex. Haven't tried that one yet myself though.

I keep watching ebay for someone parting out a 130 to see if I can get another pipe for a decent price.

let us know if you finally get the #*&%! thing to stop leaking.

sbbamafan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Pete - I would think your Sierra gasket / ring set should work. I just wanted to be sure that you didnt go to your local Ace Hardware and try to mix and match individual pieces. Usually I dont say this but - Force them in!

rucaradio

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I decided to replace all the o-rings on my 131D this spring, but after much thought opted to use regular black "sensor safe" permatex as kind of a dressing for each ring.

I let it set two days before I fired her up.

Works like a charm... no leaks.. Haven't been able to find any chunks of permatex in the system either.

pcmpete

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for your help, I will keep you posted