Water seaping out between upper and lower drive

smithrock

Petty Officer 1st Class
Alpha 1 Gen 1
I just replaced my shift cable and had the upper and lower drives separated. I have everything back together and was running on the muffs when I noticed a small amount of water droplets seaping out the fore part of the drive where the to mate to eachother. I've tightened the nuts to 35 ft. lbs per the manual. What could be my problem now? Also, does that mean my new lower gear oil now has water in it?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Water seaping out between upper and lower drive

Nope,... That a Wet cavity,... The Seal is on the shift shaft there...

smithrock

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nope,... That a Wet cavity,... The Seal is on the shift shaft there...

I didn't remove any seal from the shift shaft.
Is this something that needs attention, or can I run it that way? Is there damage that will occur if not fixed now?

smithrock

Petty Officer 1st Class

I didn't remove any seal from the shift shaft.
Is this something that needs attention, or can I run it that way? Is there damage that will occur if not fixed now?

Does anyone have a pic of the part and where it goes that I need? Also, can I just remove the lower drive unit to fix?

cr2k

Captain

What Bondo was saying is that is a wet cavity and normal. The seal is on the shift shaft so water in that cavity won't get in to the lower.

But just for piece of mind pull the bottom plug and make sure the oil is clean.

They usually mate close enough that you don't see this often.

If you are getting lots of water and is coming form the drain ports (horizontal slots toward the rear of the bottom of the upper( ( I hope that made sence you may have missed the water tube and the pump is dumping in the the exhaust housing and not reaching the engine.

smithrock

Petty Officer 1st Class

Does anyone have a pic of the part and where it goes that I need? Also, can I just remove the lower drive unit to fix?

What Bondo was saying is that is a wet cavity and normal. The seal is on the shift shaft so water in that cavity won't get in to the lower.

But just for piece of mind pull the bottom plug and make sure the oil is clean.

They usually mate close enough that you don't see this often.

If you are getting lots of water and is coming form the drain ports (horizontal slots toward the rear of the bottom of the upper( ( I hope that made sence you may have missed the water tube and the pump is dumping in the the exhaust housing and not reaching the engine.

It made sense. I have some water droplets forming at the top of the shift shaft as well as the front part of the lower. I don't remember removing any bushing or seal when i had the two apart. And it didnt leak before

ziggy

Admiral

for pics of the shift shaft. go to pp 3B-32 in service manual #6. there's a blow up of the parts there. or it's also shown on 3B-8 which is a full blow up of a lower unit.. there's not much to it. after the washers on top are removed. there's only 5 parts. the shift shaft bushing, a oring, a washer, a clip and the shift shaft itself..

check your lub for water intrusion.

you could pressure test the drive too (adults only sticky, item 8). if it don't leak and holds pressure. all seals are holding and i'd not do anything. if not pressure, you'll need to find why.

like others. i think that area is wet too. though i don't see water coming out from mine. can't say i've ever really looked either though. there's no gasket, it's not sealed. the only seal is the quad ring between upper and lower.

if ya missed with the water tube. i'd think you'd have zero cooling going on. ya'd overheat in a flash i'd think..

smithrock

Petty Officer 1st Class

for pics of the shift shaft. go to pp 3B-32 in service manual #6. there's a blow up of the parts there. or it's also shown on 3B-8 which is a full blow up of a lower unit.. there's not much to it. after the washers on top are removed. there's only 5 parts. the shift shaft bushing, a oring, a washer, a clip and the shift shaft itself..

check your lub for water intrusion.

you could pressure test the drive too (adults only sticky, item 8). if it don't leak and holds pressure. all seals are holding and i'd not do anything. if not pressure, you'll need to find why.

like others. i think that area is wet too. though i don't see water coming out from mine. can't say i've ever really looked either though. there's no gasket, it's not sealed. the only seal is the quad ring between upper and lower.

if ya missed with the water tube. i'd think you'd have zero cooling going on. ya'd overheat in a flash i'd think..

Since I never removed the shift shaft, I shouldn't be missing any washers or bushings, right?

No water in the lube. I've taken the lower off and i really can't see anything obvious. The only thing i can think off is that I tightened the water pump housing to tight, thus possibly distorting it to where water comes out? I know that I did tighten it pretty tight!

ziggy

Admiral

there's a metal washer that sits on top of the shift shaft. under that is a rubber washer.
ya should get service manual #6 for your alpha1 and a inch/lbs torque wrench if ya wanna do it as right as ya can.. lots of great info in the s/m....

smithrock

Petty Officer 1st Class

there's a metal washer that sits on top of the shift shaft. under that is a rubber washer.
ya should get service manual #6 for your alpha1 and a inch/lbs torque wrench if ya wanna do it as right as ya can.. lots of great info in the s/m....

I've got the manual and a an older torque wrench (only has Ft. lbs) and the metal washer along with the rubber washer is there and intact.
I'm thinking that just maybe I did overtighten because I wasn't getting a whole lot of water out of the exhaust. I did have some steam coming out the exhaust. Probably the impeller wasn't able to turn properly with the pressure on it??

smithrock

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've got the manual and a an older torque wrench (only has Ft. lbs) and the metal washer along with the rubber washer is there and intact.
I'm thinking that just maybe I did overtighten because I wasn't getting a whole lot of water out of the exhaust. I did have some steam coming out the exhaust. Probably the impeller wasn't able to turn properly with the pressure on it??

I do have a little water coming out from the water pump housing. My question is: Should there not be ANY water at all coming out from there? I tried tightening the nuts a little more but I didn't want to overtighten. The majority of water was coming from where the screw is on the back of the housing.