Sea Hag 2 rebuild

SCHRECK

Seaman
/Users/peter/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2009/Jul 9, 2009/DSC_0868.JPG

this is the picture of the one im using now my 22 starcraft islander with hardtop she has been good to me and we did some refurbishing this spring, it started with trim and tilt rewiring and ended up with rewiring the whole boat and we added the bow sprit with anchor and a fridge (12 and 110) but now she is in the water and i ran across and quickly acquired a 24 foot chieftain wich need some loving refurbishing

SCHRECK

Seaman
Re: Sea Hag 2 rebuild

photobucket tells me i have an account but wont send me the particulars even though they say they did
sorry for now pictures are being worked on

SCHRECK

Seaman

ok finally got some results i think

img]http://s808.photobucket.com/albums/zz6/schreck747/[img

if i did this right it will work :confused:

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Let me see if I can help ya bud

DSCN0240.jpg

DSCN0225.jpg

DSCN0243.jpg

What a monster! GREAT looking 24ftr!!

SCHRECK

Seaman

thanks for the help Kev i have been watching your rebuild and NB's and it kind of gave me the guts to do this one. i live in parry sound on the shores of georgian bay and like to go out for extended periods so i was glat to have found the big one. im just doing basic removal of things that are loose right now and going to bench test the engine and hope it is ok. the transome has turned into toothpics like all the floor outside the cabin.
you fellows did a great job and i hope i can mabey come close. in my books i have given myself two seasons. peter

Rickairmedic

Commander

Welcome to iboats Schreck and the Starcraft club . I would like to see yours over in the resto forum when you get to work on her :D.

Rick

North Beach

Commander

Welcome to iboats Peter. Wow, that's a BIG boat. Can't wait to see what you do with her!

Uxboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Wow that must take the record for the biggest Starcraft, awesome boat going in style.

wrfalpacas

Chief Petty Officer

Dang that's an awesome boat!!! :eek: DROOOL:D That has got to be at TinStock . Makes my little cuddy look like... well a little cuddy:redface: Please pleesse keep posting on this boat.....

SCHRECK

Seaman

well here goes, we did a little work yesterday, we checked out the engine to see if it was ok before we took it out to replace the transom and then find after all that that the engine had to be repaired, well that penny i picked up was right, after several tries and a bit of coaxing she took off and purrred like a kitten, oh i didnt mention the engine hadnt run in at lest 3 years and maybey as long as 15 years it is unknown. but it does have a brand new head on not a rebuilt but factory new so a bit of luck.
next what is the purpose of all the carpet other than to retain moisture and shorten the life of the wood which in many spots is no better than burnt toothpics. i wanted to refinish with an epoxy paint, what are your thoughts,
does anybody have a colour scheme for 1974 starcraft chieftains

and lastly for now there are a lot of blocks of 12x12 by 18 inch foam blocks the white pearly stuff with thin sheets under and over the thin sheets are wet but the blocks are dry what is your opinion on recycling them they are cut to fit.

in the for cabin there is carpet on the hull is that only to cover the hull or does it serve another purpose.

thanks for any help from anybody i appreciate it very much, im back picking up toothpicks and ridding it of wasp nests. peter:)

wrfalpacas

Chief Petty Officer

Peter,

Good deal on the engine:D I agree on the carpet/water thing, Re-use the foam, and carpet on the hull does deaden the wave slap sound in an aluminum boat, but that's about it for benifets. Check out my thread for the side wall and deck treatments.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Man that lucky penny saved ya!
Glad to hear she's running well..Have you done a comp test tho? May want to think about that as a double check..There's running..then theres running STRONG;)

Carpet is only good for rapidly accelerating rot! Hate carpet..In fact I may rip it all outta my house and go hardwood..maybe glass & epoxy them too! :eek: ok kidding..(Thats the coffee talking)

I am thinking you will be removing the deck thats in there and not just epoxying over that mess?

Redo the deck, resin and glass to seal her up and check out the dura-bak stuff..looks purt-eeeee...I didnt go that route so who am I to advise tho...

You can reuse the foam blocks, I did...Other guys have gone the pink block stuff that is more dense (avail at any major DIY center)..Or you can skip it all together...up to you..

I think most of the original starcraft color combos were almost ugly..make it any combo you like..

I just hate that old taupe brown thats not really brown kinda looks like an old milk chocalate bar sitting out for 5 years oxidized cream color that I see on 90 percent of the tin cans...

Ok I am ramblin..

Cya

wrfalpacas

Chief Petty Officer

Jeez Kev! You got that coffee IV runnin again don't cha! :p JK

SCHRECK

Seaman

sorry i forgot to mention we did a compression test first then a leak test and then a wet test and then started her and let her run for a bit and then did another compression test. the results were from 0 to 90 and 110 so with two cylinders we thought she might start and the rings would loosen up after we put the oil in. which is what happened. the final compression was between 135 and 145 which to me seems to be almost factory but i am not that familiar with chevy engines i know i was very happily surprised the carb float also stuck for a bit but it came loose as well peterhttp://forums.iboats.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

SCHRECK

Seaman

tell you what Kev when im done i will give it to you,

is there a law that says i have to replace the foam or can i make a live well and add another fuel tank ???? peter:D

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Nope..no law
Well...

There is one..for new construction boat companies..Many came without foam to begin with.
Trust me, it has been a heated topic in the forums for before..

Foam can kinda add a little extra bouyancy if swamped..or a nice debri trail for the coasties to find you..
But will absolutely not keep you from sinking in a severe incident..

Its your hull displacement that keeps you floating..you will not float higher or lower in the water with foam or without it..weight and load factors being equal..

I await the avalanches of replies eagerly!! lol:eek:

Rickairmedic

Commander

Kev you do know your only supposed to do that Cuban coffee 2 ounces at qa time right :D . 44 ounces of that stuff at a time could actually kill ya :eek:.

Rick

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Kev you do know your only supposed to do that Cuban coffee 2 ounces at qa time right :D . 44 ounces of that stuff at a time could actually kill ya :eek:.

Rick

I have a customer in Miami that ALWAYS has it for me when I come in..His daughter brings it to the "men" in the back office..ahhhhh sometimes I luv my job..