Stuck in reverse

Hey guys,

Need a little help... Have a Nissan 70hp model 70a2 that is stuck in reverse. Everythign seems fine with the shifter, cable and visable linkage, but the rod that drops down the back of the motor doesn't seem to be connected to anything. Am I looking at a shear-pin or something a little more complicated?

Thanks in advance

temple1975

Seaman
Re: Stuck in reverse

Just had a simlar problem where my m60a (almost same exact engine) would not go into forward. After removing the lower end I found that one of the gears was damaged and the metal shavings bound up the shift rod. Anyway I would first suggest getting a manual. I just saw one on ebay for your model http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1988-Tohatsu-Outboard-Boat-Motor-Service-Manual-NOS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem5633de8c4cQQitemZ370237410380QQptZBoatQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQ5fGear substitiute the m with ns (same exact model as yours). Anyway I would try to have someone turn the flywheel (clockwise) and use a bar or long screw driver to ease up the shift rod. If you are standing at the back of the motor go to the left side and you will see the top of the shift rod; very bottom, almost dead center. There is a connector there that connects the shift rod, with a small shift rod which connects to the shift linkagage. From that side you will be able to use a large standard screw drive or a pry par to ease up the shaft. Just make sure the flywheel is spinning and do not force it up. If it is going to shift at all it will go up smooth. If it is stuck in reverse you will have to drop the lower end to take a look. The problem with that is in the reverse position you will not be able to get to the pin which releases the shift shaft. So you will have to remove the small shift rod which will release the large shift rod (as one piece) and let you remove the lower unit.

Thanks for the link to the manual, I'll check it out. I was just out looking at the motor again and the shaft the travels down the back of the motor to the lower unit seems to be free floating. Witht the cable disconnected fromt he linkage I can acctuate the shift rod with no resistance what-so-ever and you can here rattle inside the housing. Should I be worried yet???? HA

temple1975

Seaman

The thing that stinks about these motors is that the parts are pretty rare. Being obtimistic one of the 3 pins that holds the rod together may have broke. But you may be able to fabricate a pin yourself. This link shows every part on the motor. Take a look at page 101. Once you find the part number you can call a local dealer and see if they can get one for you. http://www.tohatsuoutboardparts.com/Parts-Catalogs/Parts%20Catalog%20NS50C-60A-70A2%20%20(1992)%20-%20(M256B).pdf

Again you are problably going to have to drop the lower end.