Does my honda 7.5 have an alternator?

Jack in VB

Recruit
Hello, I am new to the group. I just bought an old Honda 7.5 4 stroke. It has the white engine cover, blue lower unit and yellow prop. It seems to have an electrical hookup. Im wondering if this is to plug in an external alternator (or rectifyer), or if the alternator is already on the motor and that hook up is where the battery plugs in.
Thanks.
-Jack

hondon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Does my honda 7.5 have an alternator?

Yes that is the charging plug for this engine.

Jack in VB

Recruit

Ok, thanks. So do I just run a wire straight to the battery from that plug? Can I buy that plug from a honda dealer?
Thank you.

flatheadlakemonster

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You may have a plug that is just a cover for the recepticle, you will probably have to get one that has prongs that you can connect wires to. You should be able to find it at the dealer, or here on iboats, that is where I get most of my parts. Also I have heard it both way on the battery. You may get away with plugging in very small electronics to the plug, i think they only have like 1-2Amp output. So you might have to hook up a small 12V battery, hook you electronics to that, and then use the motor to charge the battery. If you run that battery dead while sitting with the motor off, you may have a long way to go to recharge it. I would suggest charging the battery out of the boat with a battery charger during the week, and then putting it in the boat, and use the motor to maintain it during your boat outings on the weekends.