Milky LU oil

spun311

Cadet
The first time I drained my LU oil it was very milky, almost the color of pure milk. I changed it and went out for a day of boating and let the boat sit in the driveway for 5 days after my trip to allow it to settle and drained the oil. The oil was still a bit milky, but not as bad. Kind of like the color of coffee with a little cream in it. I'm not sure if I should be worried or not. From what I understand a small amount of water intrusion should be expected? I have not pressure tested the unit, but when I cracked the vent plug loose you could hear air escape, kind of like opening a pop bottle but not quite as pronounced. Should I be worried or just replace the drain/fill, level, and vent plug seals and refill and call it good? Thanks.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Milky LU oil

i would change the oil again. any time you loosen or remove on of the plugs, it gets a new seal, they are only one time use. # 1 place for water intrusion. there should be NO water in there. the pressure is the heating up "sun" during the day.

ryanmitton

Seaman

TD can you confirm that it's the white plastic washer 'seals' for the 2 bolts on Lower Unit that you mean are one time use only?

Thanks for clarifying for me.

Miroash

Banned

TD can you confirm that it's the white plastic washer 'seals' for the 2 bolts on Lower Unit that you mean are one time use only?

Thanks for clarifying for me.

Yes, the plastic washers on the "Vent and Drail/Fill" plugs have a one time only use. as soon as the seal is broken/Loosened they are trash

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yes, the plastic washers on the "Vent and Drail/Fill" plugs have a one time only use. as soon as the seal is broken/Loosened they are trash

100 % yes.

ryanmitton

Seaman

Thanks TD, I bought an 82 John 25 hp in July and when I checked the LU oil before anything else it was milky colored and reeked. I refilled with new, and just used the same washers. It's put away for the year now but I'll change those out first thing next spring. I did open the seal to check them part way through this season too, just to see if it was milky or nice and clear. It was a bit darker in color, but it was not milky. I'll swap them anyway.

Cheers and Thanks,

Ryan.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

IIRC some of the drain screws don't have white plastic washers, in fact i saw them for the first time on a 90's vintage 70 I just got. Some have nothing and some a black rubber O-ring. And I recently encountered one with a magnetic centerpiece to snag the clutch dog filings!
Anyway, the one with the plastic seals leaks and it's in being pressure tested and sealed main seals notscrews) if needed (probably). The one with no seals never leaks. I'll be sure the plastic seals are replaced, too.
So I guess the deal is: if you have white plastic washers, replace each time. Otherwise OK?