Fraustrated..89 Johnson 140/OB won't crank

beanfed

Recruit
I put this boat in the water about a weekago , Fired up at home no problems;
we put it the water, cranked up fine to launch off the trailer...
I turned it off to get other gear, minutes later I turn the key;saw and heard a spark at the positive side of the battery and nothing happen, Now all I get is a clicking sound from the fuel pump, put nothing else...
I checked the main fuse in the red capsule, but it was good changed it any way. I ran a jumper between the start solenoid and the starter does turn,
I also dismantled the throttle assembly in order to get to the neutral start switch; it was good and jump passed it and still nothing......
I'm sure it is something small that I am over looking

mhg

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Fraustrated..89 Johnson 140/OB won't crank

check for a dirty connection at the battery post
M.

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

What are working on here?

Make sure there is power from the key to solenoid.

Clean and tighten all connections.

There may be a fuse near the key switch as well as by the battery.

How are you jumping the solenoid? From the small posts or the large posts?

If all that checks out and you are able to jump the solenoid then that is likely your problem.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

90% of starter problems are bad connections. remove and clean both ends of the battery cables, so that they are shiney, also the cable from the solenoid to starter. check for nicks in the cables. and make sure the connectors are on the wire good. the cable tend to corrode from the inside out, if nicked, corroded wires, and connections, heat up and cause resistance to the follow of electricity, thus the starter doesn't get enough. you can also take jumper cable pos battery post to large post on starter. with a good connection, the engine should spin. then if the starter is good clean everything and retest. then trouble shoot solenoid. starters can be rebuit at a starter/alternator shop, much cheaper than a new one.

also have the battery load tested at the auto parts store, free, i've had new batteries go bad

beanfed

Recruit
Re: Fixed.89 Johnson 140/OB won't crank

Re: Fixed.89 Johnson 140/OB won't crank

:)Hey everybody,
Thanks for the responses, it turned out to be a faulty B+ strap
from the solenoid to the starter, I went out to the boat and started tugging lightly on the wiring, and the positive cable pulled away from the terminal eye which was connected to the starter.
A quick cleaning and some soldering; were back in business.