Trailer Height Adjustment

dbagman

Recruit
I have a small aluminum fishing boat and I want to adjust the height of my trailer to allow more clearance for my motor in the full down position. Currently my leaf springs are positioned below my axel. Can I move the leaf springs to above the axel to gain height? If so, is there a special bracket I need to allow for the pin on the bottom of the springs?

Bifflefan

Commander
Re: Trailer Height Adjustment

if the axle is straight you can turn it over too and the the mount is on the top.
If not then you can get the spring mounts at any trailer retailer or some boating stores.
Why not just raise the bunks tho? Assuming its a bunk trailer.
Bigger wheels and tires...
Use a transom saver...
A spring over is by far the hardest of the fixes.

dbagman

Recruit

Bunks are already at max height. Looking at the spring route because of $$$$$. Seemed to be the cheapest. Store in garage and have to have motor down. Hassle to mess with trans saver option. Axle is straight, but no mounting hardware "on" the axel. Just a plate with the U bolts that accept the pin on the leaf springs.

Thanks for the info!!!!

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

If you just need the clearance for storage, how about making a couple of wood ramps for the trailer to ride up on giving you the extra 3" or so clearance needed to put the motor down?

Should be easy to make from a 2x6. Stack and nail two or three boards with the leading edge beveled and the trailer can be backed up on it fairly easy. Cut three pieces for each side. A 3', a 2' and a 1' and stack (3' on bottom, 1' on top all lined up at the end) to make a stepped ramp 4 1/2" high. With that design and your lightweight tinny, you should be able to push the boat up the stepped ramp yourself.

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer

If your tow vehicle has a hitch receiver why not get a drop hitch to lower the front of the tlr while raising the back.
Mike

jsmithwe

Recruit

Bunks are already at max height. Looking at the spring route because of $$$$$. Seemed to be the cheapest. Store in garage and have to have motor down. Hassle to mess with trans saver option. Axle is straight, but no mounting hardware "on" the axel. Just a plate with the U bolts that accept the pin on the leaf springs.

Thanks for the info!!!!

Consider one of these http://www.lock-n-haul.com

Bifflefan

Commander

Those look good but,
1: what holds it in? looks like a good bump and off it flies.
2: the point of the transom saver is to get some of the weight off the transom. this produst does not do that. it just tilts the motor up.
clearance yes, helps save the transom no,

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

The lock-n-haul is for power trim and tilt only.

IMO, a transom saver only saves a transom that is already in need of replacing. Its real purpose is to hold the motor in a raised position if the motor doesn't have power trim and tilt, or to take the road loads off of the poer trim and tilt system. If the transom is in good shape it will take the road shocks just fine. To me, typical transom savers are good for outboards without power trim and tilt. For power trim and tilt motors I prefer something like this