82 Gamefisher 9.9 dies when put into gear

docdsm

Recruit
I have an 82 Gamefisher (Sears/Craftsman) 9.9 hp outboard that I picked up recently and has given this as its latest headache. I'll give a brief history to help with diagnosis. When I first got the motor, it would start, run for a bit, then die very shortly after. Replaced the fuel filter element and discovered the tell-tale didn't have a steady stream of water. Replaced the impeller and got the stream going, but noticed I wasn't burning fuel completely. Replaced the plugs (the old ones were fouled pretty badly) and that seemed to clear it up. It would still have the occasional problem of dying while idling or running, which was "fixed" by making sure I continued to push the fuel primer bulb every so often to maintain fuel pressure. Tried to go wide open throttle with it and it did for a few seconds, then died. Restarted it, and when I put it into gear, it snapped the shear pin. Replaced the shear pin and took it back out, only to find that it would die when I put it into gear. The motor starts after a few pulls, idles decent, but regardless of how high or low the RPMs are, it still tends to die. I'm thinking it's a carb issue, as the seal on the float bowl has leaked, although nothing significant (maybe a dribble or two after 10 minutes of high warm-up idle). Any ideas?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: 82 Gamefisher 9.9 dies when put into gear

Probably Eska built; a model number will help.
A carb rebuild with special attention to jets and passages.On some there is a pump element in the carb flange,some have a seperate pump.
If this motor sat a lot they typically run initially and get progresively worse.
Go through the system with attention to cleaning.