96 Oceanrunner 175 cold start issues

Yreka

Seaman Apprentice
OB will not even attempt to start after sitting for a day or so. I have tried every possible variation of cold start process suggestions I could find, and none make a difference. After awhile, it seems to just pop and fire for no rhyme or reason. Once its started it seems to run, and start back up without a problem. (On the muffs, I haven't gotten a change to take it out yet, im not confidant it wont leave me stranded)

Sounds a little raspy when it idles, but I'm not sure if that's normal or not, this is my first 2T outboard.

Compression is between 95-100 on all holes..
New fuel, new primer bulb. electric fuel primer system is working perfectly.
New battery, spins the ob at ~500rpm no problems there. Even ran jumper cables to eliminate possible cabling issue.
New plugs, champion gapped at .030. They get oily/wet looking, but I am only running it at idle/ slightly above as I am on the hose.
checked the keyswitch per the process in the book, seems to be working ok.
checked the shift switch, just disconnected it, no difference.
Once it starts and runs, checked the timing with a light and seems to be right on spec. TDC also correct.

Onto the spark test...

Well, got a cheap $12 tester, set the gap to 12mm, clamped it to a headbolt & grounded all of the other leads to the head as the manual suggested

I get intermittent spark across all holes at that gap. Sometimes it will fire 2-3-4 in a row then nothing for another 3-4-5 revolutions. Pretty consistant across all holes, makes me wonder if I am doing it right, or if the tool is working correctly.

When I close the gap down to 4-5mm or so, it fires every time.

Will take a look at further troubleshooting tomorrow.. The book didn't really state anything for intermittent spark, just no spark or spark on certain banks/pairs ect. any suggestions ?

I will take a peek through the remaining components and see what I can test without special tools (I dont have a peak voltmeter etc).. At this point, unless I can find something obviously wrong I wonder if it would be cheaper in the long run to take it in

jonesg

Admiral
Re: 96 Oceanrunner 175 cold start issues

Looks like a weak power pack.
Thats where to begin with the meter.

Yreka

Seaman Apprentice

From the link:

"Check the battery voltage on the yellow/red striped wire while cranking the engine. If below 11 volts, charge the battery or check all battery cables."

Checked this @ the pack connector, and got 10V while cranking.. 11.4V at the battery(cranking, 12.9 static).

I guess I need to start looking for Vdrop? I dont think its the battery cable, as I added jumpers again and it didn't make any difference.

Could this marginal voltage cause the issue ? Will give me something to tinker with while waiting on the DVM probes.

Stator ohm-ed out ok, didnt get a chance to test the pack yet, waiting on my peak adapter....

jonesg

Admiral

From the link:

"Check the battery voltage on the yellow/red striped wire while cranking the engine. If below 11 volts, charge the battery or check all battery cables."

Checked this @ the pack connector, and got 10V while cranking.. 11.4V at the battery(cranking, 12.9 static).

I guess I need to start looking for Vdrop? I dont think its the battery cable, as I added jumpers again and it didn't make any difference.

Could this marginal voltage cause the issue ? Will give me something to tinker with while waiting on the DVM probes.

Stator ohm-ed out ok, didnt get a chance to test the pack yet, waiting on my peak adapter....

Yes, 10v is no good... looks like you found it.

pack and optical ignition needs to see good volts,thats why they run a seperate power wire(yellow/red) which is only live while cranking the starter, its to prevent v drop due to load from starter.
If the battery is known good then remove and sand all the power connections starting at battery.
jumpers will not help if the starter main terminals are corroded.
Happens all the time.

Made my own dva adapter, only 3 things in there, resistor/capacitor and a diode. But for $25 I think you did well, parts cost almost that much when you figga in the box and probes from ratshack.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

have battery load tested before buying expensive parts. make sure all connections are clean and shiney.

Yreka

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guys,

The battery I am trying is brand new (875CCA marine starting).. I have also tried it with the battery out of my truck ( 1000cca diesel battery). It seems like they are both holding up ok, they only drop to 11.5-12v under load.

Connections are clean and shiny, took a dremel/wire brush to em.

No luck :(

I wonder if the starter/solinoid is taking too much juice.

Also ordered the FSM to replace that POS Seloc Manual that came with it. Nothing like trying to work from a manual that covers 10 years of V4/V6/V8 outboards :rolleyes:

Yreka

Seaman Apprentice

Ok, for future reference, here is what it was...

Starter was thrashed.. Once I started looking around for my vdrops, I had a set of marginal cables ( dropping .7-.9V each leg) replaced but the problem remained. I pulled the starter down, and found one of the magnets was damaged upper outside. This was allowing the amature to walk around inside the journal.. Wierd too, because it sounded and looked like it was whipping that engine around pleanty fast.. The RPM was there, it was just taking too much juice to do it.

Replacing the starter fixed the vdrop, but at this time I was getting nothing out out of the orange wires to the coils, so I replaced the power pack..

Cliffs:
Starter + Powerpack, problem seems to be gone..

Thanks for the sounding board & advice guys,

Jay

jonesg

Admiral

So you spent a couple of bucks but saved $600+.