1964 Evinrude 3 HP stops

intlmfg

Recruit
I have a 1964 3 HP Evinrude. The motor starts and runs fine, but then stops suddenly. When this happens, the recoil handle will not pull out and the speed control lever becomes so stiff that it is extremely difficult to move. If I remove the hand-pulled starter assembly, I can turn the shaft easily with a wrench on the flywheel nut. Then the speed control handle moves normally and I can easily restart the motor.

What is causing this?

Thank you,

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1964 Evinrude 3 HP stops

When was the impeller last replaced? Sure sounds like it is overheating and seizing. Keep that up and it will become junk quickly.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

How long does it run before this happens? If you let it set without doing anything will it loosen up? Thinking maybe overheating and the time it takes you to do all the work, it cools off.

intlmfg

Recruit

Thank you for your help. Your suggestions make sense.

The motor has been sitting for several hours since it last stopped. It is now free. It was getting hot while operating, but I thought the cooling spray was sufficient.

I will now take both of your's advice and replace the impeller.

Thanks again,
intlmfg

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Thank you for your help. Your suggestions make sense.

The motor has been sitting for several hours since it last stopped. It is now free. It was getting hot while operating, but I thought the cooling spray was sufficient.

I will now take both of your's advice and replace the impeller.

Thanks again,
intlmfg

When you get the lower unit off, look up in there at the water tube. They often get bent during improper installation of the gearcase. Then the bent tube rubs on the driveshaft and eventually wears a hole in the tube. When that happens, it will spray water out the relief holes just fine, but not cool the powerhead.

Also, I'm not sure about that particular year, but some have a rubber seal at the top end of the water tube. When that seal deteriates, water spills out instead of going through the powerhead. Again, it sprays out the holes just fine.