3.0 LX swap with a 3.7 Mercruiser

cowboy_36618

Cadet
I got a 3.0LX and it locked up, it has the Alpha one Outdrive Im guessing its 3.0 since its posted on the top of outdrive, my question is. Can I take out the 4 cylinder 3.0 LX motor and drop in a 3.7L 470 mercruiser with out many problems to do the swap.If I do ,what problems or changes would I have to do to get this 3.7L into my engine bay of a 1996 Bayliner Capri 1950? I was wondering if they would just interchange with the outdrive an all without having to change out alot? Please Help

cooter2506

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 3.0 LX swap with a 3.7 Mercruiser

Why go from a virtually indestructable engine to one with known faults? Aquire another 3.0 and rop it in. If you put the 3.7 you will ATLEAST have to get a new outdrive or regear the old one since the 3.7 takes a different ratio.

cowboy_36618

Cadet

Well I really didnt know they were indestructable...If I can find another 3.0 I sure will go back with one, as of right Now, I really dont know if the motor is locked up for sure, I just know when i tried to turn it over yesterday up in bum F*** no where, the starter broke away from the housing or the tranny part... so Im assuming it is locked up, Ive been so disgussted with it, I didnt want to mess with it much today... but I thank you for the responce and I am really wanting another 3.0 but I want my boat running again too. Im affraid Im going to have withdrawls starting soon.

cooter2506

pull the plugs and see if you have water in the cylinders or one cylinder it might be hydrolocked.

cowboy_36618

Cadet

ok i will do that in the morning,thanks any more ideas to check or look for, i know the temp got up around 250 then i noticed it smoking....

cooter2506

smoking in the engine compartment? If so you probably smoked the exhaust hose from the riser to the exhaust down pipe. I would also replace the impeller in the outdrive once we get the engine freed up. engine probably over heated and burnt the riser gasket and water got in manifold and locked it up.