A bit hard to start when on the water.........

bluemarshboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Mercruiser 5.0 (1992), 2bbl rochester carb. When boat is on land (still) it starts with a tap of the starter. Driving it to the launch seems to floods the motor and makes it start hard. One day last week on the water I killed the battery trying to start it, I then noticed the choke closing on me so I wired it open, now it starts but still not as easily as it does on land (when it's still).

Sounds like a float issue? Needle and seat?

Best
Dave

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: A bit hard to start when on the water.........

What is your timing set at?

bluemarshboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just got a timing light today so I'm going to check that this week. However, my issue doesn't seem to be that in that with a cold motor on land it starts fine..... cold motor at the launch (after being trailered), starts harder. Seems more float to me, no?

I would follow the timing and the dwell. If you have time at the ramp pull plugs and check to see if they are wet and black or dry and white/grey. Back pressure on the exhaust in the water and the load of the impeller can make a big difference in the start is the dwell and timing is off alittle.

bluemarshboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for explaining. I will do that. What is the best timing setting for this motor? 5 - 10 BTDC?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

8? BTDC at 650 to 700 rpm.

You can't set dwell, you don't have points.

bluemarshboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Rob NC, that's what I had thought..... I'm going to try and time it first and then move toward that if the timing doesn't help any.

bluemarshboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That just makes it worse. If I pull the arrestor off the top and look into the carb the butterflies are soaked with gas, so I have to point at the float or something.

bluemarshboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Timing was set at 2 degrees retarded. I set it at 8 degrees advanced. It could still start easier. Think I'll rebuild the carb and see if that helps.