89 Force 125, how many safety switches?

kenjunior

Cadet
Newbie to the boat world! (jetskis are my money pit of choice)

Sister bought an 89 Bayliner w the Force 125. Confirmed motor is also an 89.

I know no history of the boat other than what was told to me via 3rd party. Previous owner of the boat used all summer without any problems, last time they took it out, it wouldn't start. New plugs & plug wires, one magnet was loose so it was fixed, they bypassed the safety lanyard kill switch as a test. Still no fire. They were told needed "coil packs".

Now I don't know (yet) know the workings of this motor (got Clymer Force Outboard Shop Manual on the way) but seems funny to me both coil packs crap out at the same time.

I am wondering how many safety switches, lanyard, neutral, motor tilt, etc there are on this motor and is there an easy way to bypass all of them in one shot to make sure its not a defective switch killing the spark.

I have cruised around iboats for some time last night checking various posts, sorry if this has been answered.

o' curious one,

KenJunior

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 89 Force 125, how many safety switches?

Disconnect the white wire at the engine terminal board near the starter. This disables the stop circuit. If you still get no spark, the problem is in the electronics. You are correct, two CD boxes failing at one time is too much coincidence, as would be all four triggers or coils. However, a stator could have bothe windings fail, so that would be the first place I would check after disconnecting the white wire. If this does give you spark, then the problem is either the safety switch or the ignition switch.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

There is also a neutral safety switch. If it was bad or out of adjustment, the motor would not turn over at all. I'm assuming that the motor turns over but won't fire?

Hard to determine why a motor won't start without some basic checks first. Need to verify that you have spark to all cylinders, need to make sure you're getting fuel to the carburetors. Those two questions need to be answered and will help determine which direction to go as far as trouble-shooting.

Does it have the blue coils and CD packs? The reason I ask is that you mentioned that one of the magnets came loose. The ignition system for that year motor should only have one strip magnet that runs completely around the inner circumference of the flywheel and uses the blue coils and CD packs. Later model ignition systems have six separate magnets around the inner circumference of the flywheel and so not use the blue coils and CD packs.

kenjunior

Cadet

OK, I have not done anything all, no testing, no nothing. I did (in the garage), turn the switch and spun the motor for about 2 seconds a couple of times. I didn't have any time to even do the basics..... fuel level, filter issues, any spark at all, etc. I am only taking 3rd party information at this point.

Also carbs were rebuilt according to previous owners.

Yes blue boxes.

Unconfirmed on the magnets, I was only regurgitating what I was told I have not verified a single or multiple magnets.

Thanks for a starting point. Once I get some more definites I will know what to ask for help with.

Thanks folks for the starting points. I will go hit it up tonight and tomorrow after work.

KenJunior

kenjunior

Cadet

Ok, got the son on the mower and I went over to do prelem inspection/testing.

Pulled white wire off to make sure no kill/safety switch was interfering. Pulled plugs out to check compression and spark. OLD compression gauge not fully tightened up read dead even across all 4 cylinders, my gauge was only showing about 117 lbs but I am not overly concerned with that (yet) due to gauge. I was happy they were dead even across all four.

While cranking for compression I could see spark everywhere (out the ends of the plug boots). Put plug in (I am assuming 1 is the top and 4 is the bottom) boot and tested #1, great spark, #2 weaker spark, #3 great spark, #4 great spark. That's weird, now wondering how valid info I got from previous owner :confused:.

Put plugs back in and pumped up fuel bulb and a little fuel started dripping from top carb, kinda out the bottom towards the front of the boat, ahead of the bowl. I lowered the motor as low (level) as possible while on trailer in garage. Wiped up all fuel (very good ventilation in garage). Had wife push in key and attempt to start, got a good pop and it scared her (even tho she was warned it may start and be loud) and she let off starter. She tried again and again a 3rd time. Nothing, no pop, no nothing. Every time she left off after cranking for no more than 3 full seconds, fuel would drain out of the same place on the top carb only.

Any insight please feel free to chime in.

Kenjunior

john from md

Commander

Carbs need to have the float levels reset. You might as well change the fuel pump diaphram at this point also.

Aside from this, are you putting the trottle in fast idle when you are trying to start it? Are you pushing in on the switch to activate the choke?

John

kenjunior

Cadet

OK, getting more information from previous owner.

Boat was used w/o problems over the summer as stated before. Then one day no start. They took to a marina for repair. Marina rebuilt carbs and replaced plugs ($400). Then said needed coil packs (another $400) but couldn't get to it for a month plus. Knowing they were buying new boat in spring, they wanted to sell boat ASAP to catch some season left. Turns out they are friends of friends so I am pretty confident we are getting reasonable accurate information. But some translations could get lost, remember the old "pass the secret game" as a kid? LOL.

John from MD................

If I said...... um.... fast idle what? Would that answer your question? Yes to the choke push in and they are closing properly.
(remember I am a jetski person and am spoiled with direct injection toys).

KJ

Jeremy90bay

Petty Officer 1st Class

Fast idle is when you pull the handle out and push it forward a little this will start it in fast idle and not in gear.

kenjunior

Cadet

Sweet! Learned sumtin today.

My fast idle is mashing the thumb down (jetski - lol).

Awaiting my service manual for much much more schoolin'.

KJ