Yahoos on channel 16

skargo

Banned
Yesterday, as we were relaxing at anchor, enjoying yet another amazing day on the Chesapeake bay.
All of a sudden, "Break on Through" by the Doors comes over my VHF radio. I like the Doors BUT that pissed me off. We heard the entire song, then we heard a Cindi Lauper song. I had to turn my radio off to get some peace.
Apparently the same morons were putting in fake distress calls. The CG had to come on and broadcast a message that misuse and false distress calls are a felony amd could result in 5 years imprisonment, and fines.

Why would anyone even think this is remotely funny, someone could die because they can't transmit! :mad::mad::mad:

Bifflefan

Commander
Re: Yahoos on channel 16

im not sure as to the thrill these jacka** get.
You should here the stuff on a CB sometime, there is a guy about 60 miles south of where i live that that broadcasts a siren sound on CB channel 19, 24/7. And if your in a truck stop, every other sentence you hear is "shut up stupid". Or my favorite is "where are you, so i can come kick your a**".

People are getting way to stupid (for lack of a better term) these days with what they think is funny.

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Probably all drunk, people have been flakey on the radio waves for decades tho.

I always liked the Stones better, never really cared for Morrison.
Riders on the Storm was a good tune I guess.

po1

Cadet

It was only a matter of time before the cb rambo's started messing around on the vhf channels. Sad but we can only hope they mess up and get caught by authorities.

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

Reminds of the story "The boy who cried wolf" after a period of time you recognize the same voice and dumb a@@es, some day they are going to really need it and noone responds, Humm I wonder why??

werthert

Petty Officer 1st Class

Noob question,
I should just leave it on channel 16 and otherwise never use it unless an emergency, right?

No, it wasn't me.

LIQUID PROZAC

Petty Officer 1st Class

as always a few bad apples ruin the whole bunch hopefully no one will get seriously hurt or die from their ignorance--too bad you couldn't be right next to them on the waterway when they were doing that

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

Noob question,
I should just leave it on channel 16 and otherwise never use it unless an emergency, right?

No, it wasn't me.

No you can use your radio any time you hail some one or a marina and they will tell you to go to a clear channel for example (WavenBye go to 68) and you can talk all you want, 16 is for emergencies and hailing, If someone gets ahold of you on 16, find a clear channel and then go back to 16 and tell them what channel, I leave mine on 16 for listening to incase I am close by and can offer assistance or if someone needs to get in contact with me, Hope this helped alittle.:)

skargo

Banned

I scan 16, 9 and a few other channels. The CG would prefer if you used 9 for hailing, but it's still ok to hail on 16.

I really dig the weather alert, it saved our butts last week.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i guarantee you the CG was triangulating the signal. they catch people around here all the time.

Fun Times

Staff member

i guarantee you the CG was triangulating the signal. they catch people around here all the time.
You are right they can find where you are your if you are keyd down long enough, I remember one time I was inside the brake water in long beach CA, And there was a 16 foot boat broke down with too manny people in side the little boat I thought, Any way they flaged me down and ask If I could call for help with my marine raido so when I called on 16 they sent me too channel 22 and asked me to key down for I think it was 60 seconds so they could find where I was at, And it was kind of foggy and after a short time sea tow or one of them pulled right up next to us. And by the way that is when I found out the price per hour them guys charge if you are not signed up with them, This was in the late 90s and it was $135.00 per hour so I am sure it is more money now.:eek::)

skargo

Banned

I hope they caught these morons, I was so mad when it was going on, I wanted to find them myself!