Shift Shaft Issue

pigrge

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi,
I have a 1982 Sea Ray SRV190 with a 3.0L Mercruiser and an Alpha One outdrive. I havd the boat out on the water today for the first time in two years of restoring. It ran great for about an hour, then I shut it down, and sat for a while, started back up, put in reverse, got out where I wanted to be, and put it in forward and gave it some gas, and was surprised when it continued to go backwards. Upon searching out the problem, I discovered that the intermediate shift shaft and upper shift shaft had become disengaged from each other. please see pics. What happened to cause this and is there a fix? Thanks!
Ryan

Attachments

• Shift Shaft (Large).jpg
    Shift Shaft (Large).jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 0

jakebrake

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Shift Shaft Issue

i have the same problem as you, but i have forward instead. i had one person tell me to look at the shift slide which looked good. my thought is the shifter. what type of shifter do you have?

dubs283

Vice Admiral

did you recently have the drive off and split the halves for service?

this is typical of missing the washer that sits on top of the shift shaft seal bushing thus allowing the shift arm to drop out of the fork

pigrge

Petty Officer 1st Class

Actually I had my other drive split, but this one came complete from someone in Florida. There is no washer below that intermediate shift shaft however. And cannot remember having one on the other outdrive. I will however check. How thick is this washer? Anyone know? http://www.mercstuff.com shows that they sell that shaft with a very thin washer. Is that the one you speak of?

jakebrake

Petty Officer 1st Class

i'm having pretty close to the same problem a boat mechanic told be to check the shift linkage. i'll keep you posted, we may have the same problem. what kind of shifter do you have?

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

You are without a doubt missing the washer. Here is a pic:

shiftshaftwasher.jpg