removing cowling decals

OK, sounds like a simple problem right? Ive got a 98 yammy 115 whose decals have seen better days so i decided to take em off. Got the straight razor out and peeled them off, so far goo gone, tar and bug remover and goo gone extreme (mix of acetone and alcohol) have failed to get the sticky residue off of my engine cover. Seems lke an easy one but I thought it might be a good thing to get a thread going on, what works!!!

Rickairmedic

Commander
Re: removing cowling decals

oven cleaner :D it will remove the tacky stuff and the paint if your not carefull :D.

Rick

berry79

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not sure if you finished yet, but these work great.
http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/mmm7501.html
They can be found at most auto paint supply shops for about $6.00. I've used these many of times to remove pinstripes and adhesive tapes from autos. It will remove the decal and the glue fast, with no damage to the paint. The rubber residue from the wheel is easily clead off with soapy water.

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

Not sure if you finished yet, but these work great.
http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/mmm7501.html
They can be found at most auto paint supply shops for about $6.00. I've used these many of times to remove pinstripes and adhesive tapes from autos. It will remove the decal and the glue fast, with no damage to the paint. The rubber residue from the wheel is easily clead off with soapy water.

These things work GREAT! I just ordered one the other day and used it today. I don't have anything that does 4K RPM, but my 700RPM drill worked well enough to spin it. I got an off-brand version for $16 shipped and it made a 4-5 hour job into a 30 min job, with absolutely no paint cuts or scratches I would have had using a razor. Highly recommended, even if you only use it once. I used it to remove all of the cheezy 90's graphics and stripes from my boat for painting, and there was a lot!

I don't know what auto stores berry lives near, because I went to 4 of them here and none had them or even carried them. NAPA wanted $40 for the 3M one, which I just couldn't bring myself to spend.

well add WD-40 and a product called goof off to the list of things that haven't worked on the stickers from hell. So far oven cleaner is tops but even so its taking about an hour of soaking and another hour of scrubbing to get one side of the cowling clean. not the miracle cure i was hoping for but its working. i'll have to order one of the 3m discs and try it out.

berry79

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't know what auto stores berry lives near, because I went to 4 of them here and none had them or even carried them. NAPA wanted $40 for the 3M one, which I just couldn't bring myself to spend.

My local paint shop is Viva Liz and Perrine Auto Supply. I think Viva Liz Auto Paint is a pretty big company, we have a few down here in Florida, but I'm not sure how far north they go.

fire7882

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Acetone should take it off the best. It won't harm gel coat but will disolve paint. Its the same as nail polish remover if you have some of that around.

allpoints360

Petty Officer 1st Class

These things work GREAT! I just ordered one the other day and used it today. I don't have anything that does 4K RPM, but my 700RPM drill worked well enough to spin it. I got an off-brand version for $16 shipped and it made a 4-5 hour job into a 30 min job, with absolutely no paint cuts or scratches I would have had using a razor. Highly recommended, even if you only use it once. I used it to remove all of the cheezy 90's graphics and stripes from my boat for painting, and there was a lot!
Hey lowkee, how did you attach one of these to a drill?

I'd like to get one but most seem to attach to a specialty air tool with a special arbor.

cwoodffr

Cadet

I went to the local commercial paint store a few years ago and got a jug of tolulene. It will remove just about anything...very handy to have around and evaps very very fast.

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

Hey lowkee, how did you attach one of these to a drill?

I'd like to get one but most seem to attach to a specialty air tool with a special arbor.

I bought this, which looks like it is supposed to screw into something, but there is enough sticking out to close the chuck around.

http://www.restockit.com/Smart-Eraser-Pad-for-Pinstripe-Removal-Tool-(AST400E).html

I'll add another benefit of the wheel.. it removes the glue as well, so you sanding pads don't get clogged up.. worth the price of the wheel right there, as sanding pads can sometimes get expensive on a big hull (I've gone through ~25 pads so far on my hull)

allpoints360

Petty Officer 1st Class

Many thanks, Lowkee.

How long does one pad last?

I'm going to get one. The heat gun or WD40 approach just takes forever. Give me a power tool!

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

I bought one wheel and it removed all traces of every sticker and pinstripe on my hull and cap. There is about 10% left of the wheel. So, if I were to guess, one wheel will remove about 10 square feet of stickers.

berry79

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I bought this, which looks like it is supposed to screw into something, but there is enough sticking out to close the chuck around.

http://www.restockit.com/Smart-Eraser-Pad-for-Pinstripe-Removal-Tool-(AST400E).html

I'll add another benefit of the wheel.. it removes the glue as well, so you sanding pads don't get clogged up.. worth the price of the wheel right there, as sanding pads can sometimes get expensive on a big hull (I've gone through ~25 pads so far on my hull)

lowkee, thats the same one I get locally, astro brand or something like that.