Ever buy tires online?

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral
I haven't, but am looking for 4 Michelin LTX M/S 235/75R15. Right now, it looks like Tirerack.com is the front runner in price. They beat the local tire shop by about $350. I'll have to pay to have them mounted/balanced but I think I'll still come out ahead. Any experiences?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Ever buy tires online?

Tire rack is very respectable. I am lucky and I have a local tire dealer who will price match for me so I always buy local.

I have 3 vehicles and 4 trailers and refer a bunch to the local guy which has earned me great treatment.

xxxflhrci

Chief Petty Officer

I bought 2 sets of BFG Traction TA tires from Tire Rack about a month ago. I got them on sale for about 30% less than even Walmart. I placed my order and had my tires in 3 days.

One thing you might want to check on is finding someone willing to mount a tire that they didn't sell. Lots of tire shops like to use "liability" as a reason not to mount tires they didn't sell you. I am lucky enough to have a friend with a shop, who no longer sells tires, but will gladly mount mail order tires for anyone.

I have also have bought motorcycle and trailer tires online. I mount them myself using a Harbor Freight portable tire changer and a couple of tire irons. I've been hand mounting my motorcycle tires for years.

Zeeter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Tire rack is very respectable. I am lucky and I have a local tire dealer who will price match for me so I always buy local.

I have 3 vehicles and 4 trailers and refer a bunch to the local guy which has earned me great treatment.

Same here. I have bought on line but the local guy always gets real close. Id rather keep it local.

RollingWanderer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've ordered from both Tire Rack and Discount Tire and had good luck with both. If you go to the Tire Rack site there is the ability to find a local installer, many times if you go to one of those shops directly they will price match the Tire Rack price.

-RW

KICKEDBACK

Cadet

I am in a good spot here in Arizona. Discount tire is the only place I will buy tires.They will always match or beat anyones prices and thats all they do is tires. You won't get someone who knows ZILCH about tires putting the wrong valve stems on your F350 because he was available when you came in. If there is ever a problem you go back to them and they make it right, then! With the Tire rack you will have to pay out of your pocket and then go through the process to get reimbursed. Remember, if you don't buy it from where you take it your not goig to be at the head of the line. thats just normal business...take care of your customers first then deal with the guy who saved some money buying some where else. think about it cause it is true. Stay local and deal with the people that live where you do and what go's around, comes around. thats how I see it.:D

mscher

Lieutenant

Never purchased any tires, except for garden tractor tires, online.

Had two instances where I had to get a tire warranty adjustment from a local tire dealer. Could be a real pain to do it with an on-line retailer.

pmat1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am over due for new tires (mine are near bald) and would not think of buying them online simply due to shipping. Is it very expensive?

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

I am over due for new tires (mine are near bald) and would not think of buying them online simply due to shipping. Is it very expensive?

That would all depend on where you are relative to where the tires are. Shipping on the 4 tires to me is $58 from Tirerack.

Laddies

Banned

I went to the local tire shop that installs tireracks tires and he sold me the same tires without a frelght charge but matched tire racks price.

TonyJ124

Cadet

As stated above, most shops can match the Tire Rack price without the shipping- saving you the $40. Find the closest Tire Rack installer and call them to see if they'll help. Stimulate your local economy!

I've bought tires for my personal cars 6 or 7 times from Tire Rack and have no complaints. The reviews on their site (as long as you take them with a grain of salt) are usually helpful.

PS- I have a set of 32" LTX M/S and they're great. No slippage on the boat ramp ever!

Bifflefan

Commander

1st:
350.00 is a huge difference, I highly, highly, doubt this is apples, to apples.
2nd:
that being said, if you buy local your helping your local economy.

I buy as many things as possible that are made locally or at least from a local source. Im tired of seeing empty building with signs on them "out of business".

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I also buy mine locally, from an independent no less, I do alot of shopping online but always end back up over by him for tires.
Prices are a little more, the brick and mortar service is great and he and his workers need to eat too.
I can tell you, he's not getting rich selling a couple dozen tires a week.

Jeff-in-PA

Chief Petty Officer

I've purchased at least 8 sets of tires from Tirerack.com over the past 12 years.

I have them shipped directly to one of their Recommended Installers. http://www.tirerack.com/installer/index.jsp The businesses in the recommended installer section must meet minimum equipment requirements. Just because Joe at the corner garage has a tire machine and a bubble balancer don't mean he'll be accepted as you must have top of the line equipment. You can also check the prices of the mounting and balancing at that link too.

I had purchased a second set of pirellis from tire rack for my '90 suburban and they took an excessive amount of weight to balance them. I had them installed at Phoenix Auto Center of Palm (pa) who is one of their recommended installers. Kurt got on the phone with Tire Rack and explained the problem. Two days later Tire Rack had another set of tires there and I had them mounted up. The "extra" work was paid for by Tire Rack and did not come out of my pocket ( they paid directly to the garage )

Jeff

getinmerry

Petty Officer 1st Class

Over the last 6-7 years, I have bought 3 complete sets of tires from Tirerack. All 3 sets consisted of 4 steel rims, 4 Blizzak tires, and 4 hubcaps.

I have had nothing but terrific luck with them. The savings were incredible too. The complete sets of rims, tires, and caps were nearly $800 less than the dealers wanted to charge (more than $1000 savings for the set on the VW). I still saved over $300 buying new from them as opposed to buying junkyard rims and new tires.

Everything came pre-mounted and balanced- the tire pressures were also right on the mark! All I had to do was jack up the vehicles and slap them on.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I just went through this on a set of 265-70-16 LTX MS.

My local Discount tire beat tire racks price with free life time balance and rotation.

Got to love the Michelin LTX...I have run them for years on every truck i have owned.
My last set dry rotted with 70,000 miles on them and still had plenty of tread.

Michelin is going to re-design the LTX...The new ones should be out by the first of the year.From what i have read they will have a similar tread pattern but the compound will be different..
Why mess with a good thing??