Potential Purchase

MTribe08

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hello..I'm in the market for a family bowrider..minimum of 19ft. I have come across a 1996 586 19ft with a 4.3l v6.

Can anybody offer some feedback on the boat? I'm mainly going to be using it with my family(4 of us) and occasionaly another family.for a total of 4 adults and 4 kids. Will will also use it to wakeboard and tube on occasion.

It is in great condition..brand new interior, very nice trailer..well taken care of engine and drive. 250hrs Bimini and full cover. The owner is wanting $6,500...I'm thinking its a good deal at $5,500. What do you guys think? Here are a few pics of the boat.

96Stingray.jpg

96stingray1.jpg

0719091520.jpg

0719091519a.jpg

0719091521.jpg

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Potential Purchase

It does look great.

If its rides like my 190LS, then the 4.3 is a great engine for it. Its a fast hull and by varying the prop pitch you can get a lot of speed out of it, or have a real good hole shot for pulling up skiers, or find one in the middle that does both well.

Most people with the Stingrays in the Stingray website (most discuss the 190/195) say the boat is a must to have nautics smart tabs, which help it plane at slower speeds, keep it from porpoising, and help rough water riding. Mine has a hydrofoil on it and I think this accomplishes the same thing.

I consider mine to ride real well in chop. Then again, my last boat was a malibu skier and it was basically a flat bottom, it beat you up bad. Thus, maybe my thinking it runs great in chop is because of my reference point.

I find it to be a great boat for a family. Its light enough to trailer, roomier than a 17-18, and still has a V6, versus most smaller boats with the 3.0 four banger.

I can't really comment on the price, I have not been studying them to know what they go for.

I would suggest throwing an anonymous question out to the stingray forum for what to look for in terms of problems with that boat.