soft floor in bass boat

Loving Red Bear

Recruit
I am starting a new projet on a 21 ft procraft bass boat and after stripping the carpet and cleaning the boat I have found a very soft/rotten floor at the rear drain on the main floor in front of the seats and under the console. This boat has been sitting outside for 3 years and was a genuine mess. The floor looks like fiberglass over wood but it is definetely gone, you cant step on it there without going through. This boat is a 1992. Should I take out just the bad section. or cut out the entire floor and start over, the rest of the floor seems soild. I have done several restorations and boat remodels but never encountered this before. What to do guys?
Thanks for any advice
LRB

boatflipper

Chief Petty Officer
Re: soft floor in bass boat

If you plan on keeping the boat until it poops out on ya, I would replace the whole floor. This way you know it will be good for another 20 years. Also, not to be the bearer of bad news but I would consider checking on your transom because rotten floors and rotten transoms sometimes go hand-in-hand. Good luck!

thrillhouse700

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Yup, I had the same thing. Someone wrote up the ten steps of denial on here somewhere. I went through it and everyone else did too. Im in the middle of mine right now.

zorak

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Oh well.I take this one.You better throughly check your stringers as well.I am not trying to throw any bad juju your way but if it's been sitting outside for 3 years uncovered then they have probably turned to mulch.On the plus side,if that has happened they will be easy to remove.I was faced with the exact same situation except my floor felt solid. A couple of exlporatory holes later and the seriousness of the damage was apparent.I almost took it out for a test spin however on reflection it would probably have sunk to the bottom of the lake. Thrillhouse is right obout the 10 steps of denial.Been there done that