48 Evenrude won't disengage out of forward drive

wrestall

Recruit
My 48 envenrude I think the year is 1982 is stuck in forward drive. I checked all the linkage and accuator arm going into the casing and all is ok. the arm pivots and goes through the motions of shifting but for some reason the motor isn't transfering it to the gears. Do you know whats going on or what might be a good starting point to figure what's wrong? The boat works fine in the forward gear and goes up to top speed, just can't put it in nutural or reverse.

Thanks guys,
William
EDIT: EMAILS NOT ALLOWED

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 48 Evenrude won't disengage out of forward drive

check you shift rod connector under the carb. the joint where the shift rod connects to the shift lever.

wrestall

Recruit

Ok, I checked that and looks to be working like it aut to. The cable goes to the accuator arm that is on the casing then from there the motion is transfered into the shift rod under the carb that has the fwd, nuet, rev detents with a ball holding the joint. Is that what you mean? what is it supposed to do outside of moving from the different detents? Is there something else I should be looking for as far as wahat it is supposed to do.

Thanks

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

there is a rod that comes up from the lower unit thru the leg, it connect to a rod that runs across the motor under the carbs over to the lever the cable connect to. it is the connection from the up rod and the cross rod. if not connected the lower unit will not shift. you may have to remove starter, to see the connection.

wrestall

Recruit

ok thanks i'll have to look at that next week.
thanks

Go Gators