Evinrude 60 dies in the water. help?

norville

Cadet
Folk, hello. I'm very unfamiliar with outboards, I've read through the stickies and searched a bit. Here's my problem, I have a 1980 60HP evinrude. I bought it knowing there was a issue with running. PO had carbs rebuilt. It has a high idle lever.

Symptoms;
It will start and idle all day with muffs in the yard. really no trouble starting it up from cold even after a few days although I do not believe the electric choke is working. I started it at home warmed it up, took it to the local lake about 20 mins I was in the water. Move it over to the dock I she won't start cranking but not even sputtering. So I move the high idle lever all the way up and it finally catches. I also pumped the primer a few times. So it's idling fine still fairly cold. I get it into gear and it stalls and fiddle again and get it going and pull out into the lake and no wake for a while, just as the timing lever move out. Then she stops, after about 10 mins and won't start. So we fish for a while maybe 1/2 hour I try to start again. cranking but no go, again I pump and move the lever trying different combos to get it going and she fires. High idle up, I'm able to bring it down to mid lever but obviously cannot ingage the drive, then it stalls. after fishing again, same thing. I'm able to get it into gear and finally open it up and it has a definite bog/hesitation just as the timing lever moves at higher speed. then it quites and I have not tried again.

So, my first though was incorrect timing. I'll try that tomorrow, but what is a "spark tester" and how do I set it to 7/16" I think I understand the rest.

Any other ideas??

bob

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Evinrude 60 dies in the water. help?

ok lets start at the beginning. you need to get compression reading on all 3 cylinders, and spark on all 3. your motor will idle all day on muffs, but when you put it in the water, the exhaust goes out the prop, so the idle speed has to be set higher, due to exhaust back pressure. compression, spark check and timing, all covered here.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=299680

spark tester, any auto parts store.

Attachments

• spark tester.jpg
    spark tester.jpg
    1.6 KB · Views: 0

norville

Cadet

Thanks it's a 2cyl. I apologize for the lack of info. The PO bought it this way, had it for 2 yrs and sold it this way.

I just checked the plugs, they are dark brown. I have a spark tester but it's not adjustable. I didn't know they existed. I'll check the comp later in the day and post back up. I plan to dump this gas and start fresh. I guess I need to find a tachometer , TH hand held ones I have are only for 4cyls + I guess I need one regardless.

Thanks

bob

norville

Cadet

The top cylinder is 120 psi and the lower is 126 psi

If I put the motor muffs on and place the motor in a garbage can(filled with water) will this help diagnose the issue?

bob

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

No need to use muffs if you are running engine in a tank of water. Make sure water level is above the level of the water pump.

norville

Cadet

timing seems way out. Please help me understand this. I hooked up a spark tester to 7/16 and the spark looks good and is jumping the gap

I'm using the top cylinder to time it. This is not easy, I have marked the #20 and #16 with red nail polish. My engine calls for 21deg at WOT the engine is in water(trash can). So with the idle lever held up (simulated wot??) all the way up the timing should be set to around 17deg???

does this sound correct???

bob

norville

Cadet

OK? I followed the directions best as I understood them in the "secrete files room" by setting the timing. It was way off. The set screw was bottomed right out. It now about 1/2" off the bracket. And it fired right up in the can, and idles for a few minutes then I noticed I do not have a water stream. I did have a stream every other time I turned the motor on. My one thought is the intake screen is blocked , the lake was weedy??? Most likely the water pump needs to be rebuilt. I know, I know. I really didn't feel like pulling down the LU. I guess I'll have to do it sooner or later. Is there a list of all the stuff needed for changing out the water pump.

Rebuild kit
oil for lower unit
???

bob

norville

Cadet

Looks like I
m back to square one. It will not run in the can. I started it on the muffs. I got my stream back it sat and idles down seemed to be good. I filled up the can and now she won;t start. Tries kinda engages but no go. I cannot adjust the idle any higher it's maxed out, I feel that is an issue. But I do not know where to look next.

Anybody??

bob

norville

Cadet

I'm looking at the carbs now that I see the idle screw is in all the way. thinking the carbs could be not adjusted correctly.. It seems to me I have type IV carbs?? Where I would expect to see a needle valve for adjusting the carbs I only have a large screw in there? Is the idle adjustment under the screw??

bob

norville

Cadet

Good news, I was able to get it to run in the trash can. I changed the check valve on the fuel tank. I went to change out the fuel and noticed it did not pump out. I had a new one on hand. With muffs on I was able to set the idle screw much , much, lower. I ended up loosing most of that when I put it in the can. But at least the idle screw is not bottomed out....

A new issue I just noticed, I'm not familiar with these motors but at idle the lower carb dribbles fuel , and lands into the case???? is this normal at idle?

bob