Width of Trailers

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Are most Boat trailers a standard width? I'm going to be installing an RV gate to park my boat "when I get one" in the back yard. The house AC unit is in the bad spot so I need to make sure I have clearance from the AC unit and the Side wall to move the boat in and out. So for an Example a 20ft boat would have a trailer width of what?

Thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Width of Trailers

Ayuh,... 8, 1/2' is the federal load regulation width,... Go with That....
Unless you get into 30' Plus boats,... It'll be under that...

Tahoe 55

Petty Officer 1st Class

The widest you can legally be (without a wide load permit) is 8.5'. Most boat's in the 20' range have a 8' beam. I'd say make your gate at least 9' and 10' would be better if you can. Hopefully you'll have a straight shot at your gate opening with so little room for error. In other words, if you can't go all the way through straight, take that into you minimum opening calculations and make it even bigger. You don't want to build it twice and it's better to be safe than sorry....

This_lil_fishy

Master Chief Petty Officer

Mine requires 100" from outside tire edge to outside tire edge. So as was mentioned, 8.5' should do the trick on a standard boat.

Ian

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks for the Replies.

The Problem is the distance from the AC unit and the wall. I have to take Measurements and see if there is 8.5ft between the AC Unit and the Wall. If there isn't enough width to clear the AC unit I will have to call a contractor to move the AC unit behind the house.

Click on image to make larger

Attachments

• gate.jpg
    gate.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 1

204 Escape

Ensign

I measured our tandem axle E Z Loader trailer, and came up with 102". (-Or- 8'-6")

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks for the Replies.

The Problem is the distance from the AC unit and the wall. I have to take Measurements and see if there is 8.5ft between the AC Unit and the Wall. If there isn't enough width to clear the AC unit I will have to call a contractor to move the AC unit behind the house.

Click on image to make larger

Right now there is just a small gate to the back yard maybe 4ft wide.

Y-Guy

Seaman

Hey at least its only an A/C unit, I have a Gas meter on my side.

One thing I learned was to put as big of a gate as you can. I have a 10' single gate. Called several installers most wanted two 5' gates, but its hard to angle a trailer that way. I found one that really beefed up the pole & concrete and put in what I wanted. Its been in 7 years now and no sagging at all.

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have spoken to a contractor before and they didnt think it was a big deal to extend the Lines. What ever that means. Any A/C contrators out there on this site care to comment. Its a straight shot from the street to the gate.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Go with a 12 foot gate if you can.

The trailer under my 22 footer is 102 inches wide but with my guide ons they stick out a little further than 102..

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Go with a 12 foot gate if you can.

The trailer under my 22 footer is 102 inches wide but with my guide ons they stick out a little further than 102..

I will try to go as wide as possible.

Tubingluvr

Chief Petty Officer

When the contractor is talking about extending the lines this is what he means:
The unit you have sitting there is your condensing unit.
There are 2 copper lines coming out of your house that go into your condensing unit.
One line is your high pressure line and the other is a low pressure line.
In order to move your condensing unit you will need to either extend those lines around the exterior of your house to where your condensing unit will be located but a better option would be to reroute the lines inside the house and have them exit the house at your new location, you will also need 220v electrical connection and I would suggest a quick disconnect connection outside at the new location.
You will also need a cement pad (patio blocks are fine)
The entire system will then need to be refilled with freon.

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

When the contractor is talking about extending the lines this is what he means:
The unit you have sitting there is your condensing unit.
There are 2 copper lines coming out of your house that go into your condensing unit.
One line is your high pressure line and the other is a low pressure line.
In order to move your condensing unit you will need to either extend those lines around the exterior of your house to where your condensing unit will be located but a better option would be to reroute the lines inside the house and have them exit the house at your new location, you will also need 220v electrical connection and I would suggest a quick disconnect connection outside at the new location.
You will also need a cement pad (patio blocks are fine)
The entire system will then need to be refilled with freon.

This sounds expensive. I didnt get a quote for the work. Another option is to extend the block wall 30 feet forward. I have plenty of room on the side of the house. I have to get HOA approval. I could store it at a boat storage lot as well. Thats is the very last option.

Thank you.

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

OK I just measured.

I have 10ft between the AC and the Block wall. Mabye Im worried over nothing.

Click to enlarge.

Attachments

• gate.jpg
    gate.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 0

Tubingluvr

Chief Petty Officer

sounds worse than it is....probably $100 or so in materials.
If you can find a reasonable contractor probably looking at 3 hours work max.
I would say you can get it done for $250 or $300 maybe less if you shop around.
I do this on the side (weekends only) in michigan

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

sounds worse than it is....probably $100 or so in materials.
If you can find a reasonable contractor probably looking at 3 hours work max.
I would say you can get it done for $250 or $300 maybe less if you shop around.
I do this on the side (weekends only) in michigan

Is that all. I may have it done for extra breathing room.

Thank you,

rjlipscomb

Chief Petty Officer

AZ, note the boat width and trailer width may be 8'-6". But you'll need some extra clearance depending on your trailer pushing skills. Also, you don't want to "accidentally" wipe out your a/c unit on a hot Saturday in Gilbert. (no a/c for a week). I'd want 12 1/2 feet minimum.

Relocating the condensing unit isn't terribly complicated. Easiest solution is to pour a new pad, disconnect and move the unit, extend the lines (coolant supply, return and electrical) use existing elec box as a junction box, new elec disconnect, connect lines, add coolant, get inspections and done. Do it in the fall or spring to avoid the busy season for mechanics and when a/c isn't needed for a week.

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

AZ, note the boat width and trailer width may be 8'-6". But you'll need some extra clearance depending on your trailer pushing skills. Also, you don't want to "accidentally" wipe out your a/c unit on a hot Saturday in Gilbert. (no a/c for a week). I'd want 12 1/2 feet minimum.

Relocating the condensing unit isn't terribly complicated. Easiest solution is to pour a new pad, disconnect and move the unit, extend the lines (coolant supply, return and electrical) use existing elec box as a junction box, new elec disconnect, connect lines, add coolant, get inspections and done. Do it in the fall or spring to avoid the busy season for mechanics and when a/c isn't needed for a week.

Your right and if its only a few hundred dollars I will do it.

Thank you