What size outboard for 14' tri-hull?

catfighter

Petty Officer 1st Class
Okay, after about 7 weeks of craigslisting and bulletinboarding, I finally found a boat!

It's a 14' fiberglass tri-hull tiller. It weighs 250lbs and is rated for a 25hp engine, and maximum capacity is 745lbs. We're expecting to be carrying approximately 500lbs of gear and people in the boat.

It will be used on small lakes and rivers, like this:

Tygart Lake, WV

Monongahela River

Tygart River

Question: would I be well-served with a 9.9HP motor, or should I get something larger?

Is there a calculator or something that can help me determine what is the best outboard for my boat?

Thanks for the help!!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: What size outboard for 14' tri-hull?

I'd go at least 15, preferably 20. The common formula is that you want at least 70% of the rated horsepower for acceptable performance.

indy440

Chief Petty Officer

you're going to need a minimum of 225hp... maybe even spring for a Mercury 300x...

:p

but on a serious note, with that much weight im thinking you're going to want a 20 or 25hp...

aspeck

Staff member

You will be dealing with river currents also ... go for as large as you can afford up to the max. rating. You won't be sorry in the long run.

(BTW, did I tell you that Tim "The Tool Man" Tyler is my hero? ARRRR, ARRRR, ARRR ... More Power! So skip the max rating part, and just get as much power as you can afford!):D

salmonee

Chief Petty Officer

I second aspeck. I have a 115 Yamaha on my 16'. I think it's just perfect. At ~4000rpm, I'm cruising at ~33mph out in the salt water. It's better to have more and not needed it, then not have enough and wished you'd had more.:)

catfighter

Petty Officer 1st Class

Interesting. I know that motor power is rated at max RPM. Maybe I will get a 20-25hp.

I'm not planning on going anywhere that isn't ~5 miles away. If that takes me 20 minutes, then I guess I'll be find with that.

However, I understand that I'll probably be getting another boat a couple years from now. would be nice to already have the motor!

This_lil_fishy

Master Chief Petty Officer

Folks, it's a tiller, that'll be some strongarm work steering around a 100+hp motor! LOLS, basically get the biggest motor you can afford and will meet the max rated HP for that hull. I know my 14' V-hull had a 50hp which seemed to be just right...but that's just me...and it wasn't a tiller hull.

Ian

salmonee

Chief Petty Officer

lil fish,

Tillers at 100+hp is normal around here. They use them on aluminum fishing boats for running up and down the rivers. Not sure I understand the strongarm comment...

erie_guy

Petty Officer 1st Class

You might check with a few other lakes you want to visit and see if they have a HP limit. A number of good Ohio fishing lakes limit HP to 9.9 - and some even require electric motors.

It is humerous to see an 18' bass boat with a 250 HP engine on the transom (tilted out of the water), along-side the 9.9 that is pushing the boat. I suggest that both engine sizes may be necessary to get on the most desired waters - as many boaters have already discovered.

erie_guy
Port Clinton, OH

This_lil_fishy

Master Chief Petty Officer

lil fish,

Tillers at 100+hp is normal around here. They use them on aluminum fishing boats for running up and down the rivers. Not sure I understand the strongarm comment...

I've never seen that, but then we don't see a lot of tillers out here. I would have thought the torque on that much horsepower could be a handful. Maybe I am wrong. No matter.