Attaching Mecruiser Alpha 1 Gen 1 Outdrive ?

when I attach the outdrive to the bell housing there is the brass shifter(intermediate shift shaft) that moves. How do I line that up with the shift cable arm or whatever its called when I put them back together. I read some stuff talking about having the brass shifter at 10, 11 and 12 o'clock. I am just confused. I fried my brain on replacing the gimbal bearing and bellows ! pics or diagrams would be great. thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Attaching Mecruiser Alpha 1 Gen 1 Outdrive ?

Ayuh,.... Align Everything in forward gear,+ assemble...

what do you mean by forward gear ? just have it all facing 12 to 6 ?

PitchFork

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes it should be facing forward and the shifter on th ehelm should still be in forward. The lower unit probably came out of gear when you had it off. This happened to me. You can turn the it to 12 o'clock and turn the prop CCW to lock it and you can have someone hold the prop or tie it off so that it stays locked.

WorldOfJohnboy

Seaman Apprentice

Yes it should be facing forward and the shifter on th ehelm should still be in forward. The lower unit probably came out of gear when you had it off. This happened to me. You can turn the it to 12 o'clock and turn the prop CCW to lock it and you can have someone hold the prop or tie it off so that it stays locked.

You will also probably have to turn the prop counter-clockwise to get the drive shaft splines to align properly with your engine coupler splines... I tried to put mine on without the prop on and it took me a few tries before I realized that having the prop on will allow you more easily turn/align the splines. (Basically, you will keep pressure on the O/D and slightly turn the prop, and it should slide right in.)