Considering purchase 1996 Yamaha Pro-V 175

tomfl

Recruit
Considering purchasing a boat with a 1996 Yamaha Pro-V 175 on it. Saltwater use motor. Boat is a lot older than I would usually look for, but the price is right, boat is in good shape, and the motor shows under 500 hours. Also FWIW the boat is coming from the factory as one of the dealers took it in on a trade and the boat went back to the factory for a mild check and refurb. I would not expect them as a boat manufacturer to go through the motor cowl to prop but rather to confirm it's in running condition and the rest would be up to me.

I have not done a wet test or compression test on the boat/motor yet so I can't speak for how it runs. I've usually dealt with smaller outboards in the 90hp range, and don't know what PSI I should be looking for on a big-bore 175 like this.

Also I'm asking for some input as to the overall views of that motor from those who know about them; what to watch out for/look for before signing on the dotted line, and if there are any nagging issues with that motor's year.

Thanks

-T