Ted Williams motor won't pump water

swimmin' for shore

Chief Petty Officer
I had a guy bring me an old Ted WIlliams motor. It's about 5.5 hp and around a mid 50's model. Bail-o-matic model. The motor won't pee. I dropped the lower unit and see that it has a double impeller. The top one is shot, and he says that it only serves as a "float". I'm confused about that, and the impeller has no fins, but I dropped the lower unit all the way out and thought I'd stick a hose to the water pickup and make sure it pees before I put a new impeller in the top half.
So-I hook up the hose to the water pickup and turn on the water. It doesn't come out the pee hole. It just keeps pouring back down the mid-section and onto the ground. I get a flashlight and look in there, crack the water on again, and it appears to be coming from a hole in the pickup tube. This hole is almost all the way at the top of the mid-section, just about where the tube goes into the powerhead. It looks to me like this thing has a shot water pickup tube, but I thought I'd ask. Is that tube supposed to have a hole? I think it's an aluminum tube, so he idea that a hole would be bored out is a little foreign to me, but I wanted to ask. ANy thoughts?

boatflipper

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Ted Williams motor won't pump water

Good luck with that one. I wouldn't think there would be a hole in the tube, that sorta defeats the purpose. I would consider contacting a marine store that has experience with older motors. Moderators forgive me for putting this on here, but discount-marine-parts.com has A TON of experience with older motors. Good luck!