Cutting the Transom - HELP!

cparkerc

Seaman Apprentice
I am about to cut down the transom on my first boat build. I'm mounting a 1970 Johnson 25 hp (short shaft tiller) and the water intake is right below the cavitation plate. Should i still line up the cavitation plate with the botton of the transom, or go a little lower to make sure i get water to the intake?

Thanks

Carrington

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Cutting the Transom - HELP!

Bad idea, Carrington. Swap your outboard for a long shaft or convert it to long shaft.

cparkerc

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry, let me re-phrase. I am building a stitch and glue boat from scratch. It is ok to cut the transom to fit a short shaft motor (per designer). I am only concerned about the outboard not getting enough water intake for cooling. New to outboards and didn't know if i needed to adjust the height of the motor on the transom to suit the intake design (1970 Johnson 25 hp, short shaft). What height would you mount this motor? Cavitation plate even with the bottom of transom, or lower?

Thanks

Carrington

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yup. What they ^ said.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Why don't you just build on a set back plate and leave the transom at 20 inches. That way, if in the future you do get a 20 inch shaft engine, you don't need to rebuild it.

The tiller arm should still be high enough to clear the transom, even with the engine set down 5 inches behind it.

At any rate, most hulls run best with the cavitation plate even with the bottom to about one inch above and as long as the intakes are covered, the engine will still draw cooling water.

BTW: Over on the OMC forum there was a post: Those guys seeking maximum performance without a nose cone, surface running prop, and low water intake, glue or weld shut the top one or two intake holes so they don't suck air with the engine set very high. The engine still gets enough water to cool it through the remaining intake holes.

cparkerc

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the help, i appreiciate it!