Advise New boater

bkhdmh

Cadet
I am currently looking at purchasing my first boat. Something to learn on and have fun with. I found a 1989 21' Barreta Cuddy Cabin in a local craigslist. I have gone by and checked the boat out and for the most part it seems like its in fair shape. The paint is a little dull but the hull looks solid. The interior is a little dirty but with some elbow grease it will clean up nice. It has a V8 Volvo Penta with a blown head gasket. I have researched head gasket kits and they are around $100. But I was told to I should stay away from anything Cobra or OMC. And also that to blow the head gasket the engine had to be runnign very hot for a good while. The seller is asking $1200. I am going back today to make sure that the engine cranks and hasn't seezed. I was going to offer $800 but wanted to get some opintions from people with boating experiance. I am a handy person who works on houses and cars and I plan on doing most of the work myself if anything needs to be done with the help of a mechanic friend. I just wanted to see if that was a good price. If I purchase the boat I plan on having a coworkers boyfriend (marina mechanic) go over the boat and let me know what needs to be taken care of.

Thanks,
Brian

Attachments

• Boat 1.jpg
    Boat 1.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Boat 2.jpg
    Boat 2.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 0

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Re: Advise New boater

General consensus is to stay away from OMC- not because they're inherently bad, but because they've been out of the outdrive business for years. Parts and trained mechanics are drying up.

QC

Supreme Mariner

You've come to the right place. The Volvo drive is actually the premium although parts prices are higher. I'd be worried about the floor, but the price is okay if you like the layout and you can do most of the work yourself. Good luck and welcome aboard!!

Utahboatnut

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I think I would pay the marine mechanic friend to go check it out with you BEFORE you buy it. Might shed some light on problems you may not see or might say if I were you I would buy it. Just a thought....