'73 65HP Motor + '75 70HP Gearcase = Forward is Backwards

Rick Thomas

Cadet
Hey guys,
I have kind of a goofy issue. I have one of those odd ball motors. The gearing is reversed and Johnson only did this in '73 and '74 on that size motor. I have a Rebuilt 70HP Gearcase from '75 on it now and it works I just can't seem to get used to this reversed operation.

Does anyone know where I can locate or have a working gearcase from '73 for a 65HP motor? I'm willing to trade my rebuilt unit for a good used one, pay cash outright for one or a combination of both. Just tired of the goofed up forward and reverse.

Thanks,
Rick

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: '73 65HP Motor + '75 70HP Gearcase = Forward is Backwards

you have a private message.

alangf

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey guys,
I have kind of a goofy issue. I have one of those odd ball motors. The gearing is reversed and Johnson only did this in '73 and '74 on that size motor. I have a Rebuilt 70HP Gearcase from '75 on it now and it works I just can't seem to get used to this reversed operation.

Does anyone know where I can locate or have a working gearcase from '73 for a 65HP motor? I'm willing to trade my rebuilt unit for a good used one, pay cash outright for one or a combination of both. Just tired of the goofed up forward and reverse.

Thanks,
Rick
Why not just get a reverse rotation prop?

Rick Thomas

Cadet

Hey Alan,
My biggest reason is the counter rotation prop for that motor is $300. For the same amount of money or less I can get the proper gearcase and keep both the Props I currently have for it. Good idea though.

Oh as for the years I was wrong it was '72 & '73 not '73 & '74
Regards,
Rick