mercury 135 outboard

KMBMNN

Recruit
I am installing a new ignition switch, I cant figure out the wiring. My old switch had 6 wires marked S,B,M,M,C,A
the new one is marked S,B,M,M,C,I I know my A is assessories, Im guessing the I is for ignition? I dont think i should put the A wire in place of the I wire?

my colors of wires are red- B
blk M
yell w/blk- C
blk w/yell- M
yell w/red-S
pink- A

orangeman

Seaman Apprentice
Re: mercury 135 outboard

I could also be for instruments. When you turn the key it supplies power to the instruments/ accessories. I just installed a trim gage that had an I and it was to receive power from the key when the key was turned to on.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: mercury 135 outboard

It is likely that the I terminal on the switch is the same function as accessory. You might test it with a meter to be sure. In the on position, there should be continunity from I to B.

You might tell us if you are working on an inline or V motor. The year would be helpful, since Merc changed wiring colors over the years. Accessory was white in the 70s inlines, and purple in the 90s V engines. I do not rememeber pink, except as the killer wire in the ADI iginition. If you put power on the killer wire, you will burn out the switchbox.