Newer 150hp outboard on an older 150hp rated boat

Joe_the_boatman

Chief Petty Officer
My '79 Starcraft is rated for a 150hp outboard (max), but this was when engines were rated at the crank.

Used 150's seem to be popular here. Don't see too many between a 150 and a 115 for sale. Of course, anything would be quicker than my 60! (which I'm not at all disappointed with - but I would pick up another motor if I found one at the right price)

Just wondering if I could pick up a newer 150 (1985 or newer) which would be rated at the prop, or should I stay away since they're prop rated?

Keep in mind I'd be using my existing single cable rotary steering.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Newer 150hp outboard on an older 150hp rated boat

We are not talking about a 150 horsepower difference. It is more like 15 to 20. So if your boat is rated for 150, all the local enforcement agency will care about is if you have a 150 HP or smaller engine on it. They will leave you alone.

You don't need to worry about the engine ripping the boat apart (unless it is in poor condition)

No insurance company is going to differentiate between a new and old 150. Even in the sad case of an accident. To them, 150 is 150.

So, go for it.

xxturbowesxx

Chief Petty Officer

some companies even underrated motors for bass boats so that they could out perform the competitors engine. For example I have a Mercury xr4 150hp but it actually dyno's at around 160-170hp. Its kinda BS that they got away with this but hey it makes my boat go faster :D.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

We were just down in Woodstock visiting my sister, never did get used to driving 90 mph everywhere.

I agree, the difference between crank and prop rated is 10%-15% so we aren't talking a bunch, just make sure your transom is in good shape and you should be fine.

Joe_the_boatman

Chief Petty Officer

You don't need to worry about the engine ripping the boat apart (unless it is in poor condition)

I'm only worried about how it will handle. If it starts chine walking, will my wimpy single-cable steering be able to handle it? I'd just like to stay away from a dangerous situation if I could.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Most Tlelflex systems I have seen are supposed to be good for up to 150. So, you should be fine. If you do start to get wobble or imprecise steering, invest a couple of hundred in a no-feedback system.

I don't think you will experience chine walking on that hull, it is not a high performance hull that will rise high in the water at plane, it is meant to be a smooth riding comfortable family hull. And if you do experience some, just reposition weight to add some to the stern.