2.5 XRi warning system problem...

I have a 1993 Mercury 2.5 XRi 200 HP on a 1993 Skeeter 200DX bass boat that has been giving me trouble. The warning system will start beeping after operating the engine from anywhere between 20 minutes and 1 hour. The system will slow the engine down to 1000 RPM's and usually after a short period of time the warning system will stop beeping and the engine will act as if nothing was wrong. The beep is a "beep-beep-beep" insteady of a steady tone. Sort of fast, like beeps a half second then silent for half a second.

I changed the waterpump last week but it still does the same thing. I checked the fuel filter and found nothing out of the ordinary, no water or huge amounts of trash.

I was told that even though the engine had a good stream of water "peeing" that because it is a V-6 one of the thermostats could be functioning improperly, but because the "pee" hose is connected to both heads it would look like it was pumping water properly when in fact only one side was being cooled.

The same mechanic also said that it may be a poppett valve I think. I don't know... Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated. Anything that I may check or have checked...

Thanks, BK

Re: 2.5 XRi warning system problem...

Is this the correct place to post this question? Mods please let me know if I need to move to the correct spot. Thanks again, BK.

Re: 2.5 XRi warning system problem...

Does anyone even know someone on here that may have an idea what it could be? ANY help would be GREATLY appreciated... Thanks again, BK