Honda BF 50 - Carb/Cyl 3 doesnt work!?!

whyahonda

Recruit
Have had nothing but problems with this motor. It appears that cyl 1 and 2 have gas, spark, and amazingly fire. Taking a wire off affects the motor causing it to stop. Now on cyl 3 I get spark but if I take the wire off nothing happens. Got new plugs, gas, filter, and tried putting the fuel directly in the fuel lines bypassing the proportioning valve, but still no difference. If anyone has a bit of tech info they can share I would be greatly appreciative

canboater

Cadet
Re: Honda BF 50 - Carb/Cyl 3 doesnt work!?!

Not sure if u saw my post.But it sounds like we have same problem.I,m stumped too.Let u know what I find.

walt-oxie1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Honda BF 50 - Carb/Cyl 3 doesnt work!?!

This is a problem that I have on several of my Honda 3 cylinders. Commonly it is the bottom cylinder that has a miss. The problem is most likely a clog in the venturi tube in the carb. Remove the carb, remove the bowl, remove the big flat tip screw in the bottom of the carb body. This will expose the tube. The tube will need to be GENTLY pried out with either a flat tip or needle nose pliers through the end of the carb (I cannot remember if it is the choke opening side). Once the tube is out it needs to be cleaned out with a small piece of wire or torch tip cleaner. There are 2 small holes in the side of the tube and one end that get clogged. Work the wire through until you can see through the tube. Then spray with carb cleaner and reinspect. Once it is totally clear it is time to put it back together. The small holes in the tube go parallel to the choke shaft. Lube the o-ring on the tube with a little oil and GENTLY pry it back in place through the opening in the carb. Put everything back together in reverse order.

I have to do this to mine about once a month. Then again, I commercial fish and rack up a bunch more hours than most. Not to mention 12 gallons or more of gas every day.

Hope this helps.