Another distributor/rotor question

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander
1967 60hp johnson. I bought a entire distributor assy. off ebay becuase I broke my distributor cap. Supposedly the one I bought came off a 1963 75hp. The distributor cap was the same and worked. Question is on the rotor. I know there was different rotor for magneto ignition. The rotor on my 1967 has a blade width of 5/16". The rotor that came on the distributor I just bought is the same. So now I don't know if they both are correct or one of them has the wrong one.

Also does anyone know if the coil resistor wire on a 1967 runs the entire length or just from the key to the motor plug. The White/red wire on mine was shot from the motor plug to the coil.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Another distributor/rotor question

1967 60hp johnson. I bought a entire distributor assy. off ebay becuase I broke my distributor cap. Supposedly the one I bought came off a 1963 75hp. The distributor cap was the same and worked. Question is on the rotor. I know there was different rotor for magneto ignition. The rotor on my 1967 has a blade width of 5/16". The rotor that came on the distributor I just bought is the same. So now I don't know if they both are correct or one of them has the wrong one.

Also does anyone know if the coil resistor wire on a 1967 runs the entire length or just from the key to the motor plug. The White/red wire on mine was shot from the motor plug to the coil.

You are correct, the rotor for the magneto/distributor is different than the one for battery ignition. The '63 used both systems. If the distributor caps that you have are alike, the rotors should be also. The two types of caps are way different from each other.

The resistance wire on that one runs from the key switch to the motor plug. It is just plain wire from the plug to the coil.

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Another distributor/rotor question

Thanks again for coming to the rescue FR.