Boat wont go forward

Burkey074

Recruit
Hi all i am very new to boating grew up w/o a boat and now that i am becoming more setteled in life i would like to get one. I am currently interested in a 82 Sea Ray from the pictures I have seen looks like a decent boat, but the seller states the boat will only go in reverse. He was mid day with the boat and fired it up after doing some swiming and the boat would not go forward. any idea of what the problem may be? It is a 3.8 OMC i think that is right Haha. thanks for any help now i am sure i will need more in the future.

KurtG

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Boat wont go forward

My advice is to find yourself a decent working boat. In this economy, there too many out there to start with known problems.

cooter2506

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I beleive in 1982 that was a stringer drive. Stay away buy a boat with a Mercruiser or a Volvo drive. You will be much happier.

Burkey074

Recruit

Well this one is a decent price i think $1000 and the interior is in decent shape. I dont mind a project i have some people that can help me out along the way, would assume that the floor and from what i have read stringers and transom and all wood will have to be replaced sooner rather than later. just want to get one good weekend out of it befor i start a rebuild on it.

KurtG

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not an OMC person, but saw something similar before. Did the PO check the play in the shift cables? Might start there,before looking deeprer, but my prior advice stands. Around here $1000 is a deep project and $2000 gets a decent running boat. Either way, your about in the same place, less the labor.

Burkey074

Recruit

Thanks for the info i am un sure of the brand of out drive i dont want to get a junk one but i am hopeing that it is something simple or at least something fixable for a few hundered bucks

searay3

Senior Chief Petty Officer

walk away. I know you probably don't want to hear that, but OMC has been out of business for many years. Sure, you can find most parts. Big pain though. Mechanics that will work on it? scarce. . If it has problems with the drive now, I would bet money it is either unfixable, (parts NLA) or vvveeerrryyy difficult to get what it needs. Merc or volvo power will make a project at least feasible.

Burkey074

Recruit

Well walk away is what i will do you guys know way more then i do and probably ever will. Thanks for all the help i will be posting more in here for sure. I hope to get a boat this fall so i can have a winter project. Thanks again

Bondo

Staff member

Well walk away is what i will do you guys know way more then i do and probably ever will.

Ayuh,... Very Wise decision,... An old OMC would have turned you into a NoN-Boater very Quickly....

Mercruisers are the most Common,+ most Popular...
That means they're reasonably Cheap to Fix,+ Everybody has Parts,....

Volvo are probably a better technoligy outdrive, but are Less Common,+ Usually more Expensive to Fix...

Just Don't buy an OMC,... They've been Out of Business for over 10 Years....

Btw,... All of Our Knowledge is Right here for the Readin',...
You can be as Smart as We are,.... ;) :D