Question from a begginer!!!!

boat2479

Recruit
I have a 15 foot v hull boat which I am putting a 25hp merc outboard onto. Will it have enough pull to Ski? Kneeboard? Tube? behind it. I am going to a cottage this weekend and would really like to know if i should go through all the trouble of getting it ready if it won't do what I want!!! Thanks

RoyR

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Question from a begginer!!!!

Unless the wakeboarder is 5 years old, no! :)

83Evinrude

Petty Officer 1st Class

The first boat I owned was a 15' fiberglass with a 40hp Johnson outboard on it. We did slalom ski behind that boat but it required a fairly wide flat bottom ski and only two in the boat. This was many years ago as well and I probably weighed about 145 at the time.

The setup required the skier to have excellent technique. Never tried a tube with it but I imagine it would not have been much fun.

cwhite6

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a 16' flatbottom with a basically 30hp motor. I can pull a tube, but I am not getting over 18mph or so. So, to pull my four year old in a small tube, sure it is plenty because I do not go fast at all. But, to pull and adult in a bigger tube? Not gonna be much fun.

_chris_

Chief Petty Officer

I would have more fun being pulled at 12 mph than sitting on the dock watching someone get pulled at 12 mph. Take the boat and find out for yourself.

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade

My wife skied behind my dads 14' Alumacraft V-hull with a 25 Johnson just to prove a point.:D That being said, it would make a huge difference if it had been a glass boat. Which is yours?:confused:
I would also think that people and gear (yes this includes the large cooler;)) in the boat. I don't know that I would try to ski, but tubing would definately be worth a shot. And I agree with Chris about the dock thing:(.

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer

Smallest motor I have ever successfully skied behind was a 70HP, smallest I have ever successfully kneeboarded behind was 40HP (with only one person in the boat).

I don't think you'll be doing much of either of those behind a 25....

Now a tube is different, it really doesnt take a whole lot to pull a tube... (you won't go really fast), but at least its something... (A tube floats and supports most of the weight of the rider on its own, versus a ski or kneeboard where it has to get the rider up on plane).

I have even pulled a tube with my jon boat and 15hp 4-stroke honda... not fast mind you, but my 5yo loves it hehe.

Like Chris said, its better than nothing... but if you had to pick what items to bring, and gear up for, I would try for the tube first, then maybe mess around with the others when you had time to experiment.

This_lil_fishy

Master Chief Petty Officer

My 14' Fiberglass had a ski rig mounted in it with a 50hp Merc on it. You could ski behind it, but nobody really big. Healthy adults and teens could, I couldn't imagine the 25hp doin the trick though.

Ian