Anyone Take Groups Out For $

thedukeryan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Had a guy offer to pay some cash for taking him and some friends out on the weekends. We talked about $150 for the day for 6 people. The good is that I am in a college town so lots of eye candy wanting to go out, I get a day out on the lake without having to pay the check plus a little $ in my pocket and last i would still have room for a few of my own friends. The bad is that if its a complete stranger and friends then I may get stuck with who knows what. What do you guys think. Would you take a group out for a day if they offered $150? I am 28 and the majority of my friends are in the early to mid 20's. There may be a slight age gap but I am guessing most would be right around the same age. My boat is a 23' Wellcraft and I can comfortably have 8-9 on it. What do you guys think? Also what sort of waiver would you have them sign if any?

Ned L

Commander
Re: Anyone Take Groups Out For $

I don't meam to be blunt about this, but there is nothing about "waivers" here. If you personally are not USCG licensed to carry passengers for hire you are putting yourself at BIG risk if anything happens. Even the basic licence, the "Operator of Uninspected Passenger Vessel" license ('6-pack') allowes you to carry only up to six poeple for hire (not 8-9). I know lots of people do this, but you should be aware that you would be putting yourself (& your financial security) at risk shold anything happen. if you have guests (friends) aboard & ask them do something like help to pay for the fuel this could put you in a bad situation if something happens & it ends up in the courts (they basically paid you for hire -gave you money- & you were unlicensed) . - Just an FYI.

(edited last sentence based on info from Boydski - Thank you)

The Great Escape II

Petty Officer 1st Class

Unless you have a Captains license, min 6-pack OUVP. You would be breaking the law. You cannot charge people to be on your boat. If the authorities found out you might not want to deal with the consequences.

CaptNCamille

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No I wouldnt take anyone out for cash.

You are going to have serious insurance problems if anyone is injured on your boat. Waivers do not do much good when your passenger's family members come after you (derivative lawsuits).

Also you are going to need a six pack license.

See http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/cb_capt.asp

rbh

Fleet Admiral

I "was" looking into a small charter/ fishing service, but there are a few hoops you have to jump through first, do your homework.
and $150 per day better be after the fuel, and other supplies you may have to provide.
If you rent a fishing/charter boat out in the chuck, I think it is some were between $200-$400 per hour per man?
how much to just to rent a boat were you are?
rob

thedukeryan

Petty Officer 1st Class

I guess I learn something new everyday. I never knew this. I take it that it is a different story as far as renting your boat out? With that said I have no plans renting my boat out. Anyone have any info as far as requesting friends to chip in on gas? For the most part I pay for gas but damn it adds up quick. I guess I just have to many freeloader friends

rbh

Fleet Admiral

What was that bumper sticker OH YEA,
***, grass,or cash no one rides for free.

Boydski

Seaman Apprentice

I believe that even if you have guests (friends) aboard & they do something like offer to pay for the fuel this could put you in a bad situation if something happens & it ends up in the courts. - Just an FYI.

Having friends pay for fuel is allowed as long as it is not a conditon of passage (i.e. you're not charging passengers for fuel) and as long it is considered "sharing expenses". More information can be found here.

As others suggested, at a minimun an OUPV license is required for 6 passengers (and the boat has to meet the legal requirements for carrying passengers). To carry more than 6 passengers, the boat has to be inspected and certified by the Coast Guard (the boat will have a Certificate of Inspection - COI stating how many passengers it can carry). The Captain would then have to have a Master's license that meets the tonnage of the vessel.

thedukeryan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well is @ss considered charging:D I'm guessing grass would get me into more trouble than charging a fee and it sounds like gas may be breaking the law as well. I will just have to find a way to explain this to the gf. I can just see it now.... Well hun gas and grass is illegal so the only one left is.......

thedukeryan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Does it make any difference if it is a private lake, corp of engineer lake etc?

Ned L

Commander

Check the bottom of my first post. -- If you ask for, and receive money (or other compensation) & you are not licensed, you can be in trouble. -- If something goes wrong out on the water you can try to tell the courts that's not how it happened.

Boydski - Thank you for that update. My understanding was under the old interpretation. I have amended my commments from "if you are offered" to basically "if you ask for $ or compensation" .

dkorzun21

Chief Petty Officer

is 150 bucks and boobies worth the risk?? If so go for it

dkorzun21

Chief Petty Officer

Well is @ss considered charging:D I'm guessing grass would get me into more trouble than charging a fee and it sounds like gas may be breaking the law as well. I will just have to find a way to explain this to the gf. I can just see it now.... Well hun gas and grass is illegal so the only one left is.......

haha let me know how you make out with that one.

Drowned Rat

Captain

NO applies to all.

Are you sure about that?

If he wants to give tours of his own private lake for a fee, who has an interest besides maybe his insurance company? Legally the Coast Guard doesn't have jurisdiction on any state owned or private waters. I would think referring to state statutes may be the only way to know for sure.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

do the research into chartering boats, "its only your time at this point"
rob

Boydski

Seaman Apprentice

If he wants to give tours of his own private lake for a fee, who has an interest besides maybe his insurance company? Legally the Coast Guard doesn't have jurisdiction on any state owned or private waters. I would think referring to state statutes may be the only way to know for sure.

Most states have laws that still require USCG licenses and Inspections for passenger vessels, even for waters that are not under the Coast Guard's typical jurisdiction. Some allow for vessel inspections by State Agencies and many also require proof of insurance.

I don't believe that a lack of jurisdiction by the Coast Guard would exempt passenger vessels from the Federal Laws requiring licensed captains. I think it would simply transfer the enforcement from the USCG to local law enforcement, but I'm not a Maritime Attorney. :D

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

I guess I learn something new everyday. I never knew this. I take it that it is a different story as far as renting your boat out? With that said I have no plans renting my boat out. Anyone have any info as far as requesting friends to chip in on gas? For the most part I pay for gas but damn it adds up quick. I guess I just have to many freeloader friends

I just put it out front a few days or a week ahead of time, i say "hey guys if we all pitch in a little bit I'll get the boat all prepped and we can head out for the weekend". I weeded out the freeloaders really quick, now theres only a few that ask about going anymore :D