mercury mirage on yamaha 200hp

mikebanx

Recruit
Im putting a merc mirage plus on my 1989 200hp yamaha, i took the yamaha thrust washer of and compared it to the mercury washer, the merc washer does not go all the way up the shaft as the shaft gets thicker, and on the yamha washer there is also a metal ring that sort of plugs into the rubber seals around the shaft leading into the lower unit/ crank case, the mercury washer does not have the metal ring. does the rubber seals have to stay covered by the thrust washer? because when i put the mercury washer on it does not sit flush against the crankcase/lower unit and it does not cover the rubber around the shaft as the yamaha washer does. Does the rubber have to stay cover around the shaft?

(in the pic below)
The first (Steel) washer is the stock yamaha washer. the second (brown) washer is the mercury washer, the side in the picture is the lower unit side. as you can see the protruding part on the yamaha washer, which goes into the rubber seal around the shaft as a cover, and the mercury washer does not sit around the shaft flush as it does not have the protruding ring.

Attachments

• DSC01199.JPG
    DSC01199.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 0

mikebanx

Recruit
Re: mercury mirage on yamaha 200hp

here is a pic of the shaft, then the yamaha washer on the shaft showing how it goes up the shaft and covers the rubber around the shaft, and then the pic of the merc washer showing how it does not make it all the way up the shaft, nor does it sit flush against the crankcase, nor does it cover the rubber around the shaft, it site about a 1/4'' away from the crankcase

Attachments

• shaft.JPG
    shaft.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 0
  • yam wash.JPG
    yam wash.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 0
  • merc wash.JPG
    merc wash.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 0

Islandbrah

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: mercury mirage on yamaha 200hp

If it is a Merc prop it needs a merc shaft to go on. buy a yamaha prop and your problems will be solved, kinda like taking ford rims and hoping they will fit on a toyota.